cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Euro coin

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 19,639
Thanks: 2,489
Fixes: 35
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Euro coin

At present, the Euro coin, shows a map of "europe", presumably representing the countries that the Euro is valid in, or the countries that are in the European Union...

Britain features quite prominently, almost at the centre - how ironic - when we opted to keep the good old british pound as our currency ! ..

Wonder what will happen when we finally leave... will all the current coins in circulation be eventually recalled, and Great Britain ground off, so that we are no longer "at the centre" of the coin ? ? ? ?  and will new issues of the coin, cleverly omit Great Britain from the map of Europe  ? ? 

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Hero
Posts: 3,714
Thanks: 1,246
Fixes: 30
Registered: ‎24-02-2012

Re: Euro coin

Who cares, @shutter ? We don't use them in the UK as our currency and who actually studies the cash you carry around, anyway? I can't even tell you what is on the obverse of our coins.

John
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Euro coin

I don't see why this would be the case @shutter, as the Euro will still be acceptable in the UK. Maybe we'll get moved to the periphery of the map, but as @jab1 says who cares, I don't.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Posts: 11,367
Thanks: 3,704
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎04-11-2014

Re: Euro coin

@shutter 

I suppose they could just drill a hole in them like those Chinese ones, although suprised to see after a  little (re)search that the French did the same at one time.

 

france-5-centimes-1924.jpg

Who'd have thought eh? 

Highlighted
Hero
Posts: 4,701
Thanks: 875
Fixes: 8
Registered: ‎31-07-2007

Re: Euro coin

Same here, but isn't the UK the centre of the known World? It must be with all those heathen lands like Antarctica clamouring at our doors. Wink

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 10,086
Thanks: 1,867
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎02-08-2007

Re: Euro coin

After all we are Great Britain so it makes sense we remain on the Euro......

This gives the rest of them something to be aiming for.....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 19,639
Thanks: 2,489
Fixes: 35
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Euro coin


@gleneagles wrote:

 

 

This gives the rest of them something to be aiming for.....

 


 

 

Herr Hitler already tried that... with the V1 and V2 ! ! 

Highlighted
Pro
Posts: 810
Thanks: 164
Fixes: 4
Registered: ‎22-11-2014

Re: Euro coin

We may leave the European Union, but we will still be a part of the land mass that it attributed to Europe, so no change there then?

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,626
Thanks: 1,340
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: Euro coin

@Marksfish wrote:

We may leave the European Union, but we will still be a part of the land mass that it attributed to Europe, so no change there then?

 

The best thing that happened to UK was that the land bridge that used to connect Dover to Calais was washed away by water from melting ice after the last ice age - left a nice 21 mile gap, IMHO that is still not wide enough though.

Who cares what they put on Euro currency,  they will all be burnt or melted down soon when the pixie dust currency fails and countries go back to proper money that individual countries have proper control over...

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 1,101
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: Euro coin

As far as I can tell the map on the coins I acquired in 2004 is of the 15 countries that were EU members at the time the currency was introduced (2002).  "Beginning in 2007 or 2008 (depending on the country), the old map was replaced by a map of Europe also showing countries outside the EU like Norway, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia and Turkey." (Wikipedia)

So it looks like we'll remain on the currency, if not as a member.  It isn't unusual for out-of-date coins to remain in circulation; we had shilling and two-shilling coins for a couple of decades after decimalisation (many bearing the image of George VI, and the queen was 25 years old on all our coins until the 1990s).

Highlighted
Pro
Posts: 810
Thanks: 164
Fixes: 4
Registered: ‎22-11-2014

Re: Euro coin


@wotsup wrote:

 

The best thing that happened to UK was that the land bridge that used to connect Dover to Calais was washed away by water from melting ice after the last ice age - left a nice 21 mile gap, IMHO that is still not wide enough though.


The worst thing that happened was digging that blessed tunnel!! Still, we are always saying that landfill is running out, we could use that instead?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Posts: 11,367
Thanks: 3,704
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎04-11-2014

Re: Euro coin

@Jonpe 

"It isn't unusual for out-of-date coins to remain in circulation..."

If anybody has any out of date gold sovereigns I'm more than happy to take them off their hands free of chartge - age and condition no object! 

Seems to recall that at one time in the not to distant past the silver content of coins especially those two bob bits still in circulation were worth more than their face value? Now half a crowns, there was a coin worth holding.

Still got a baccy tin full of old (50% silver) 3 pence around somewhere worth.... not a lot. 😋

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 1,101
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: Euro coin


@Minivanman wrote:

@Jonpe 

"It isn't unusual for out-of-date coins to remain in circulation..."

If anybody has any out of date gold sovereigns I'm more than happy to take them off their hands free of chartge - age and condition no object! 


Well, I've heard people ask Post Office staff after 'the festive season' whether Christmas stamps are still valid; perhaps you should offer to dispose of their out-of-date coins for them.  I wonder if there is some overseas call centre getting ready to offer to exchange our out-of-date banknotes once Her Majesty 'retires'.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 19,639
Thanks: 2,489
Fixes: 35
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Euro coin


@Minivanman wrote:

 

Still got a baccy tin full of old (50% silver) 3 pence around somewhere worth.... not a lot. 😋


Everyone round to Minivanman`s house for Christms pud this year then... ( 10 Gufffawing Welshman smiley `s )

 

*Yeah, I know the rules say no more than three... but mine are "virtual" smileys ! ! !  

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Posts: 1,626
Thanks: 1,340
Registered: ‎21-11-2018

Re: Euro coin


@Minivanman wrote:

Seems to recall that at one time in the not to distant past the silver content of coins especially those two bob bits still in circulation were worth more than their face value? Now half a crowns, there was a coin worth holding.

Still got a baccy tin full of old (50% silver) 3 pence around somewhere worth.... not a lot. 😋


When the actual value of metal in coins is worth more than their face value it is a problem for the Royal mint, that is why small value 'copper' coins are now plated steel ( yes, you can pick up 1p and 2p coins with a magnet ).