Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essex gets a city

nadger
Rising Star

Essex gets a city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17364651
Really pleased to see that Milton Keynes, that calls itself The New City, didn't make it  Cheesy
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Essex gets a city

Chelmsford, Perth and St Asaph are to gain 'city status' to mark this year's Diamond Jubilee.

Chelmsford vaguely rings a bell.
Perth I thought was already a city in Oz  Crazy
St Asaph? - Is it named after Asphalt that they use on the roads or something?  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@nadger, I'm pleased to see Chelmsford has been given the honour.  Well deserved. It is one of the south-east of England's fastest growing towns.  It has one of 2 cathedrals in Essex, the other being the Catholic one in Brentwood.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well at least the football team wont have to change the name it has had since 1938
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
It is one of the south-east of England's fastest growing towns.  It has one of 2 cathedrals in Essex, the other being the Catholic one in Brentwood.

I'd hardly call Essex the South East of England. Especially not the South part. Isn't Brentwood the town thats in Towie? - That being the case how can it be two towns?
James
Grafter

Erm, it's in the south east.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=essex&hl=en&ll=51.76104,0.670166&spn=5.814999,16.907959&sll=53.80065...
The above illustrates how Essex is in the south-eastern quadrant of England. It doesn't have to be on the southern border to be deemed the south!
Community Veteran

Hmm a fair point James! I always thought that the south was classed as anything south of London. No idea why but thats the way I've always understood it.
If england is made up of quadrants, then where is the middle and which one of them does it fit into?  Wink
James
Grafter

I'm referred to as southern and from Hertfordshire (first county due north of London.
Imho, anything south of Milton Keynes is what I would refer to as 'south'. Being from the south coast is something different entirely, of course.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You try looking up information on it, they class it as Eastern, South East is below the Thames  and I live in Essex
itsme
Grafter

James
Grafter

I suppose that it's perception based more than anything - How up to date is that?
Or are we merely basing this in historical regions which no longer exist?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that is up to date, most references call it East, BBC is another one
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

From the BBC article on the announcement:
Chelmsford, home to Essex County cricket team and Anglia Ruskin University, is one of the fast-growing towns in the south-east of England.

When it come down to it does it really matter?
Community Veteran

I live in Chelmsford, and would consider it the East of England, or East Anglia.  My query would be; what benefit do I get from living in a city, rather than the county town?  Other than having a Lord Mayor and city councillors (with, I expect, the higher expenses that go with it)
OK, it's got a cathedral - it had one anyway: the football team was named "Chelmsford City" around 70 years ago, but some drunken idiots who'd just fallen out of a pub - that just shows the intelligence of football fans: the county cricket ground is there - it was already.
So what do I gain? (apart from the local council having the opportunity to put rates up, since they're now a city, and can therefore go on even more foreign holidays at my expense)
 Angry
John