cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential work

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Essential work

My opinion is that the work of bin-men, street cleaners and those hero's like them should be held in higher regard than bankers. They make modern life tolerable. Few would want to do their jobs (I wouldn't) included in this category would be road sweepers...those trucks with dual driving positions and massive vacuum cleaners on them.
However, while their work is undoubtedly essential, would it be beyond the managers to ensure that these vehicles sweep rush-hour busy roads at some other time than during the rush-hours? This morning, a very long queue of traffic was stuck behind and unable to overtake a sweeper going at no more than walking place at 08:15. At most of the rest of the day the roads in question are virtually empty. Surely it can be done at another time...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Essential work

Ah...the injustices of the financial remuneration system where the most critical services seem to attract the lowest pay...and respect Sad
...and I'm not going to mention 'professional' footballers Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I'm in agreement there Petlew.  Brentwood has a habit of collecting the rubbish from shops during the early morning rush hour.  On the busy stretch of the A128 this means one side of a fairly narrow road is completely blocked causing a complete bottleneck. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My better half is a Nurse Practitioner. She runs a NHS walk-in service; seven days a week from 07:00 - 22:00 managing a team of 20 people. She's a hands on medical practitioner who has to diagnose, treat and prescribe for patients who walk in of the street. 98% of cases are handled without the need for GP intervention. She has no prior knowledge of these people of their conditions. She has two self funded medical degrees one at MA level and over 30 years experience.
Her salary is less than a London Underground Tube driver.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Ber she doesn't have Bob Crow as her union leader Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I don't take away anything you say AlaricAdair from your good lady she very obviously deserves more renumeration but, using LT tube drivers as an analogy is not a good one. As a genre, they are amongst the highest paid if not the highest. For a job that these days largely means monitoring automatic systems. Mainly thanks to the threatening activities of Bob Crow and his rather well-paid cohorts.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Atmo: --- I'm sure if Bob Crow walked in for treatment he'd be given very professional treatment. Roll eyes
Petlew: Do I mention the Birmingham dustmen..?  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Sorry, I just cannot take Bob Crow seriously, every time he speaks I’m left waiting for the punch line, he sounds too much like Fred Kite,
(The Peter Sellers character, not William Fredrick Kite, who I have a very high opinion of)