Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Service

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Essential Service

Just had an email from SETyres... where I get my M.O.T. done...

Surprised to read this...  ( abbreviated version  )

" During these uncertain times dealing with COVID-19, we at Setyres are classed as an essential service therefore we are still open.

We are still able to supply and support you.

we can still carry out service, puncture repairss, MOTs and other services you may require to keep your car on the road during these tough times.

"

So... the MOT can still be done... and , presumably this goes for most garages where mot`s are done all over the country... I wonder how many people will be "deferring" their MOT due date by three months as allowed by the governmet directive on this...

9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Fixes: 505

Re: Essential Service

Do they collect, test and return considering that you can't go out and take the car to them?

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter  @Strat 

I think they are seeing a loophole in the rules that isn't there. They can stay open, but only for essential reasons such as replacing tyres and carrying out urgent repairs for people who need their vehicle on the road. Health workers, police , food delivery drivers and the like. The MoT test requirement  has been relaxed for now so that isn't being considered as essential.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-to-be-granted-mot-exemption-in-battle-against-coro...

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Strat  & @nozzer   strat... dunno.... mine`s not due till September anyway... Our local pharmacy is doing deliveries.. so maybe........

Strat
Fixes: 505

Mine's due at the end of this month and it is a question I had been asking on various sites so I was pleased to receive notification of the deferral.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote: I wonder how many people will be "deferring" their MOT due date by three months as allowed by the governmet directive on this...

It's 6 months actually. Mine was down to be done on the 1st April (expiry date 15th April) but on phoning the garage to see if they were still operating, they said that they were concentrating on servicing cars used by essential people. They would give me a call in about 3-4 months time. Makes sense really as the car is currently getting very little use - a drive to the shop at most.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@idonno 

Same here....mot due end of this month.....got a reminder it was due, included in the email our tester wears gloves and we use seat covers......

Er...no thanks, if the guy doing the testing did have the virus, one cough or sneeze and that’s the dashboard and other parts covered in the virus...will take advantage of the 6 months option....Road Tax due end of June so will see if the 6 month leeway works.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles wrote:

if the guy doing the testing did have the virus, one cough or sneeze and that’s the dashboard and other parts covered in the virus...

And if they're not busy you will end up with two or three people crawling and slobbering all over your car. So the pass is definitely the best option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@billnotben wrote:...

you will end up with two or three people crawling and slobbering all over your car.

To be honest, if the mechanics at your garage slobber all over your car, it’s probably best to find another garage regardless of the current situation.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Anonymous wrote:

To be honest, if the mechanics at your garage slobber all over your car

I was assuming that gleneagles, unlike me, probably has a car worth slobbering over.😀