cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escape to the country..... etc..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Escape to the country..... etc..

My missus likes to watch the property programmes on telly.. and I often catch a glimpse of them as they are doing the initial interview, of what the people want for their money, and the end of the programme, where they discuss the faults of all the places they have seen...

It occurs to me, that most of the people who appear on these programmes, have little intention of taking up any offered properties, despite "making all the right noises", about "putting their own stamp on the place"  and "ticking all (some) of the boxes", they still manage to find some fault/reason for turning down all the places, 

Would I be right in assuming, that, they "just wanted to be on the telly"...

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Escape to the country..... etc..

Check out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/takepart/

And that's only the BBC, and does include "Escape to the Country" I suspect they never have to go round on door knockers pleading for people to join in.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@shutter

I think you are spot on with that, some people feel the need for gaining as much attention as possible and will do almost anything to get that attention even if it makes a fool of them or humilates them in some way, this particular program offers the attention without humilating them and offers free advertising for the houses in question.

Basically it's programs on the cheap or to put it more strongly trash programs on the cheap.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I like that title, 'Escape to the country', if all the house building continues at the present rate there will be no country to escape to, unless the country in question is abroad.

Wink8

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When the missus and I purchase a house we start by trawling the local estates for maybe 30-40 potential properties. We than shortlist to 5 or so properties. We then go and visit the selected shortlist places. We never know in advance if we'd like any of the places until we see the location and walk through the door. It seems to me the guests on TV are unlikely to find their ideal home from a selection of 3 choices. House buying is such a chore I doubt people would do it just to appear on TV.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.