cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Err Excuse Me I can't Pay

Steve
Pro

Err Excuse Me I can't Pay

My worst fear just happened, i done shopping at Tesco and went to self service and checked everything through the till only to find out I had no credit card on me. The woman was really nice about it and said she would take care of my shopping while I went on the hunt for my plastic. 

Each way to Tesco I done on foot today and about one mile each way. So four trips= roughly 4 mile and a red face. So nice she was though she had put my ice cubes and chilled things back on the shelf and when I went back she went and fetched them all for me. I offered to help but she insisted I just standby at the checkout.

I told her this was one of my worst fears that never happened to me until today. She said it happens everyday, i said I won't be doing this everyday. Thank god it's not scorching while I was pounding the pavement!!

27 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Err Excuse Me I can't Pay

Earlier this week I went to B&Q for a tube of sealant £5.34 checked online along with stock.

I drove the 4 miles to the store and while walking from my car to the store entrance I patted the pocket where I kept my wallet.

It wasn't there Shocked I had left in in another pair of trousers at home.

I went back to my car and looked in the glove box where I found £4.50, another £1 coin was in the door pocket.

I went in store and picked up the tube of sealant, taking it to the checkout hoping it hadn't gone up in price.

It hadn't as I would have been very embarrassed at having insufficient cash to pay for it and angry with myself for having to travel 16 miles to purchase it.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Often find with single items like that it's cheaper to buy on-line rather than pay the cost of your time, fuel and wear on tear on the car. My nearest DIY type shop is about ten miles away, so unless it's mega urgent...... 

Remember when we used to pay by card and worry it would work or not 'go through'. Always had cash backup in those days but not now. Brain freeze for PIN number is another one, but now I have a memorable mnemonic. Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Steve
Pro

Close call @Strat glad it ended well for you, 16 mile would of really annoyed me. The ground could of opened up and swallowed me today when I had to take my trolley and explain I couldn't pay for the stuff I just put through the till. Only thing I lost today was 6 pints of water!! Just glad I found my plastic.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You can imagine how all those people felt when they went to pay using a card and the Banks payment system failed resulting in their card being refused, I guess few people these days would carry enough cash to cover the cost of a weekly shop or fuel for their car.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Annoyed but not embarrassed as it was not your fault, but I'm left to wondering if their cash points (assuming they had them) went down at the same time? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Steve
Pro

Very true @gleneagles, i never carry cash these days always use plastic. I have had a tough time with the blasted thing lately. This time I had misplaced it but last time I actually left it in the Tesco card machine. They had it when I went back which was lucky as it was a long bank holiday weekend.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

i am fairly good with my finances ,   until one day at my local morrisons petrol station .

i only topped up with £15 , when i go inside to pay with card ,,, he said its Denied ??  what try again still same Sad

anyhow he says we have a unpaid fuel form which i filled in , and i didn't know they existed till then you get 14 days to return and pay .

At home i rang my bank after checking balance and there was plenty of cash in , For a change , Bank tell me my card had been suspended because security had noticed a odd request for money .

After sorting out with bank i had to go to morrisons following day , felt a bit odd when people were watching me pay a unpaid bill Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 124

Last week I decided to walk to the local Co-op corner shop (a round trip of 2 miles) to get some milk for SWMBO's coffee and some other bits. It's actually a nice relaxing walk down a country lane.

I just got outside the shop where I, too, felt for my cards and realised I had left them along with my keys on the the side in the living room. Thank goodness SWMBO was not in the garden when I got homeWink But i was in the dog house at that pointShocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Don't think I've ever forgotten to take my wallet with me when going to buy stuff, occasionally forgotten to have cash for known offenders of "Card Declined" machines that never worked with my LloydsTSB cards at the time, but, never forgot my wallet...

Community Veteran

The only time I have had a problem with using a credit card was when ordering items from John Lewis, after entering all the details a message came up to say payment had been declined, shortly after I get a automated phone call to say have I have ordered a item for £ x .

If the transaction was made by me press 1 if not press 2.

After pressing 1 I am then told the order was cancelled and to order the item again.

I simply phoned JL gave them my details, order number & card number and everything went through ok.

Ordered 2 items approx 6 months apart, same problem in both cases.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm sure that I've done similarly to you all, but the one I do recall was very near home, 0.3 mile. We have an independent bakers who sell lovely bread and rolls. I'd picked one from the shelf and assistant said the price. No money!

Pay next time you're in, dear.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

And remember, ' If you can't pay they will take it away'

Wink

Fixes: 124

The one place that really worries me that I may have forgotten my credit/debit cards is the petrol station so I always not only feel for the cards as I get out of the car I physically observe I have not just got the bus pass or other non-credit cards. Would hate to fill up to then have to inform them I have no way to pay.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't know why you should be embarrassed by any of this; I once intended to get some cash from the bank before shopping but went to the shop first and filled my basket before realising I had no money.  I informed a member of staff and said I'd leave my baket there for ten minutes, but they said they'd keep it on their customer service desk until I got back.  Not a problem for them, just a slight nuisance for me,

By the way, there was a problem with ticket machines at railway stations yesterday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40367628  The name of the German company providing this service is Scheidt and Backmann; I would have thought the clue to the system's quality is in the name.  (In case you are unfamiliar with German pronunciation, Scheidt is pronounced shyte!) Laugh