cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ere what is it with Funeral Directors and Crematoriums

zedingrove
Grafter

Ere what is it with Funeral Directors and Crematoriums

£2000 is the cheapest price to cremate some one...
Broken down = £750 for crematorium fees or £350 before 9.30am!
What is the difference of before or after 9.30am apart from £400
Then with Funeral Directors the cheapest they charge is £1500 that is for a basic service.
My partner had always stated "when I die put me in a cardboard box"  yeah ok... Apparently a cardboard coffin costs more than a wooden one?Huh
I asked this question, Why if I am cremating somebody must they go in a wooden coffin? and not like how the council do it (which is not far from how the Nazi's did it)?
There is a cab office next to the Funeral home and if I got a cab to the Crematorium it would cost me £5, so why can't I take the body to the crematorium.
Why because these frackers are just like Banks and Insurance companies...
It does get better, apparently I am not eligable for help from the social fund as I am on contribution based JSA and not income  based JSA even though they pay the same money.....
I do not have 2 grand, was informed that I can ask the council to do a paupers funeral, but K&C which is my borough wont do it as he died in Hammersmith/Fulham
but they are unable to help me as I do not live in their borough.......................................................................... Crazy Crazy   
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Ere what is it with Funeral Directors and Crematoriums

Sorry to hear about your loss, the last thing you want at this time is a load of hassle or lack of help with a funeral.
Hopefully someone on this forum may be able to advise you further but a call to the Citizens advice Bureau may give you some ideas.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: ZedinGrove
Apparently a cardboard coffin costs more than a wooden one?Huh
here is one for £99.00
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Good Find, Steve.... have bookmarked it... interesting to read the "recommendations" from satisfied customers at the bottom...
some clues in there, for you, Zed..... Wink
zedingrove
Grafter

Well I be bowled... Thanks for thank great find!!!
All I can say is not only are FD's expensive but also liars, as I was told a cardboard coffin would cost more than a wooden one, the cheapest wooden one is £800
Now even at full price of the coffin company of £150 Mm
I wonder.... If I bought this coffin, got Hammersmith hospital to put body in then I transport to the crematorium. According to  coffin company I can.
Just so long as I do not see the dead body, I should be ok with it...
Thanks Again Steve
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Zed, why not get in touch, by phone, or email, with the coffin company, and have a chat with them to see how you can "progress" from your ideas.... seems that they will be willing to advise you,  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

[Moderator's post by Jim (Oldjim) Totally inappropriate and insensitive post removed along with the response]
zedingrove
Grafter

Sorry for all the replies.....
All last week I was going @##@?£$ mad, and now.... From Steve's link have spoke with a friend who by the way also suggested ringing them,
also suggested calling hospital and crematorium...
Looks like I will now be able to go ahead with a half descent funeral be it an eco  one.
if you could only see the glimmer of hope on my persona right now and should now sleep well, as have had some pretty rough dreams about this whole affair!!!
Steve
Pro

@ZedinGrove, You are welcome. Smiley