cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eradicating Seagulls

Steve
Pro

Eradicating Seagulls

Just back from being at the post office, Our little town Is riddled with Seagulls has been for quite some time, Anyway I just saw a guy up there with a Hawk and I wonder just how effective Its going to be because Its all good and well the council finally doing something about It and I am more than pleased to see the seagulls getting chased out of town ( Been attacked on several occasions ) But If school children keep feeding them then what's the point?
45 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Eradicating Seagulls

Apart from scare tactics they cant Do anything, they are protected.  Until RSPB sees the fact they are a pest, councils will never have any means to deal with them.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
nadger
Rising Star

We get a lot of gulls albeit we are a long way from the coast.
Bearing in mind the size of gulls one wonders how effective a hawk would be.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Its not necessarily children. Was sitting in our car eating our pic-nic lunch a few months ago in a car park at the sea front on Hayling Island. Another car arrives beside us and out get two late middle aged ladies who had with them half a dozen plastic supermarket bags full of bread and food scraps, which they proceeded to feed to an entire colony of gulls that descended about them, in a scene reminiscent of Hitchcocks "The Birds" The "ladies" seemed quite oblivious to the mess they were getting in when covered with gull poo.
We quickly moved to one of the other nearby car parks.  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Steve
Pro

My town Is by the sea, Seemingly the handler has been doing this for quite a while now ( First I have seen him ) So I checked out a website and seemingly this can be quite effective.
http://www.hawkwise.co.uk/
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
We get a lot of gulls albeit we are a long way from the coast.
Bearing in mind the size of gulls one wonders how effective a hawk would be.

Peregrine Falcons take sea birds but I think handlers tend to prefer Harris Hawks as they’re more trainable. Any bird of prey about that size will be enough to give seagulls a bit of a start and move them along. It’s interesting that because we all call them ‘seagulls’ that we think they should only be prevalent by the coast whereas, of course, they’ll take opportunities anywhere   
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Petlew
which they proceeded to feed to an entire colony of gulls that descended about them 

I live nowhere near the seaside, so we don't have any problem with Gulls but I have seen signs around our town centre instructing people not to feed the pigeons (not sure if there is even a fine for doing so), surely something this simple would be a sensible first step in reducing the problem (if they have not already done so).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Pro

@walker23 yes these signs are jotted around the place ( near Schools also ) but I don't think the signs are having much effect.
Fixes: 47

On one of my short walks I see Seagulls, Pigeons and Magpies fighting over food scraps.
I have heard it said that the Sheffield gulls have followed the River Don in the past and took up residence after finding a good source of food around the old markets.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've got to be honest, seagulls have never bothered me in the slightest. To me they're just another bird that scavenges - just like magpies, pigeons, crows... anything. They all want food, they'll all take a free lucn if you offer it and they all make a load of noise I've got used to over the years.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

I recall as a young child going on holiday to Llandudno.
When the local Seagulls awoke, we awoke as they made such a noise.
They were an integral part of a seaside holiday.......unlike the billions of ladybirds that covered the town and everything in it for a day.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Years ago we went to Paradise Park in Hayle, Cornwall when they were flying some of the birds. When they flew a big eagle (broad winged and soars on thermals, takes animals on the ground) the seagulls mobbed it to try and drive it back to the ground - and apart from those there were plenty of other seagulls around. Next they put up a falcon (narrow winged that takes other birds in flight) and within about 20 seconds every seagull for about a mile around disappeared.
So yes, I can see why they would be effective.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Each year at the Wimbledon tennis we have a man with a hawk.  The main problem is pigeons.  The hawk does a very effective job.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how about this one ofan Osprey, its last catch has to be seen
    INCREDIBLE PREDATOR

First sequence he catches half a dozen fish in one strike.

Second sequence he plunges talons into deep water right to the bottom  to grab his prey.

Third sequence he captures a big old fat fish that looks as if it weighs more  than he does!

This is incredible to watch (best viewed in full screen mode)...enjoy!
      http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded

randpwar
Grafter

Come to Warwickshire.....See Osprey's
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/news/releases/2006/10/25/High/Flyer/at
I have heard that they can be seen, probably this time of year, in the Coventry, North Warks, Leicestershire area prior to heading up to the nesting sites. I've also heard of (but never seen) them nesting locally to me in warwickshire