cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Era of the PC 'coming to a close'?

Steve
Pro

Era of the PC 'coming to a close'?

PCs are going the way of typewriters, vinyl records and vacuum tubes, one of the engineers who worked on the original machine has said.
The claim was made in a blog post commemorating 30 years since the launch of the first IBM personal computer.
No longer, said Dr Mark Dean, are PCs the leading edge of computing.
No single device has taken the PC's place, he said, instead it has been replaced by the socially-mediated innovation it has fostered.
While IBM was not the first to produce a personal computer, the launch of the 5150 on 12 August 1981 established standards and a design around which many desktop machines have since been built.

Clicky
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Era of the PC 'coming to a close'?

and ten years down the line...
shan't be giving mine up in a hurry.  i have more control over my computing on a pc than i do on a mobile phone, or tablet.  i decide when the os calls home, not the os.  they all, chrome, android, ios and ms-os call home whenever they feel like it - at my expense - to dump, or erase stuff on my machine.  i resent that.  i resent having so little control over these mobile oses.
i'll be keeping my pc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fully agree with you. I will be sticking with a desktop computer as long as I am around !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I don't see myself letting go of a PC any time soon either. Full config options, you can do what you want with it, write your own code etc.
Must be said one day I'd like to get a smartphone and write my own apps but until i can afford one i'm just happy to have a PC to kill the boredom.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why not get a decent mainframe?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lack of money !
David_W
Rising Star

He missed out something, to write the apps for the mobile phones and social networking sites and what-not, you need a computer with a keyboard!  Be pretty hard to write the code behind for facebook on a tablet for instance Tongue
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I will be sticking with Personal Computers & My  Servers.
@A Fox is Evil, I wish that I could get a mainframe but I cannot a ford one.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's gotta be said actually.. I used to run 3 or 4 at the same time... and then the desktop PC. Now I don't even like the desktop PC due to the noise and the others... well.. they've not been powered up for a long time.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!