Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equality as far as it goes

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Equality as far as it goes

I'm all for equality as far as it goes but why should we have more knee jerk news about one actor earning more than another.

Oh I know, it's all about gender which 'of course' overrides the fact that one was more famous than the other. I'd never heard of Claire Foy until now, but I had heard of Matt Smith and lets face it, it's the name that pulls in the punters and keeps those Netflix tills ringing.

And just to turn it around to reality, can you imagine for one moment Matt Smith being paid as much as Matt Damon to appear in the same movie?  Not going to happen is it.... or maybe it will now. 

Morning rant over. Wink

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
9 REPLIES
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equality as far as it goes

I won wonder if you’d feel the same if you were a female actor. I guess not, but then some people just can’t see beyond the end of their own nose, can they @Minivanman?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I won wonder..... ?

A  word of advice, @Minivanman

"It would help enormously if you checked that your posts make sense before submitting them......"

Now who wrote that I won wonder Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

But how should we pay people ? Because they are well known or how good they are in a particular film or series. ?

I accept they are paid on the basis of how much money they are expected to make for the film company and doubt that will change but it's hardly right.

On the positive side CF has been excellent in that role and no doubt future roles may attract more money, indeed in some future roles she may be getting paid more that most of the male cast.

Now the issue of equal pay has been raised in various occupations we might see a gradual change in the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman

Yes, I made a mistake. But it didn’t render the post incomprehensible, nor did it mean that what I had written was diametrically opposed to what I meant to say.

And talking of incomprehensible, have another look at this post of yours. It would have done Edward Lear proud. https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Snake-Oil/m-p/1522381#M240903

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@superusers group

Perhaps we can look at forum rules where the odd typo error or poor expression or english is not fully correct but the meaning is clear not being quoted by others for further comment in a post.

It simply leads to irrelevant posts.

@AnonymousThis is not in response to your post it simply reminded me to raise it as a issue. As I frequently make errors in spelling or express things in a poor way.Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Ditto with bells on.

Seems that some are not as au fait with the rules as they pretend to be - and what was it Samuel Johnson  said, something along the lines of 'the man who never made a mistake never made anything'

Ditto to that as well. Thumbs Up 

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I made a mistake.

Completely understandable bearing in mind your probable hastiness in your excitement at seeing another post from @Minivanman which you could troll.  Sad

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles

Consider it as an employer, where one of your guys is not only better at the job but generates more income for your company.

If it was a straightforward case of equal pay for equal work the yes, worker to worker, male or female, they should be get the same - but in reality that's not how it works is it.

In a completely equal Utopian world it would be one as grey and as dull as dishwater.   

Reminded here of one company I started work for and got the job (or so I thought) because of my qualifications as a service engineer - only to find that the Service Managers totally unqualified son-in-law was given a start..... and given the first of a new fleet of company estate cars. I was given one that the workshop supervisor had, and had to wait almost a year to get my hands on a sparkly new one.   Nepotism at it's best, and equality at it's worst. 

Community Veteran

Equality

I've heard of that. Isn't that just an opportunity to look good and fair and also save buckets of money.

Like pensions and BBC presenters.

People foolishly expect the best outcome for them. To equal the highest earners or the earliest retirement age. Never happens.