cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equality and Human Right Commission

thisoldman
Grafter

Equality and Human Right Commission

Every morning i have to help a mobility scooter user collect his newspaper from the newsagents as they refuse to spend money
altering their premises to provide access.
Yesterday afternnon I saw a woman crying outside my gp surgery because  there were no wheelchairs available and staff refused on health and safety grounds to help her into the surgery.
Ever since the onset of my  nerve deafness, I have been the recipient of discrimination and abuse.
The Equality and HUman Rights Commission is dedicated to removing all forms of discrimination from our society, and should any of you have or are experiencing discrimination,particuarly disability discrimination, then I urge you to contact  the EHRC via their web site, and make a formal complaint.
The  service and  procedure is free and in most cases informal. Most cases do not reach court but are settled at an informal concilliation hearing, at a local place of convenience to you. Courts take a negative view of defendants who do not agree to use the concilliation service
There are no costs involved in using the EHRC service and you can expect to receive compensation for you claim , ranging from 1000 to 8000£
The procedure is as follows.
1 write to or email the EHRC, with details of your complaint. It helps to read the Disability Disc Act (on web site ) before you do.
2 they will send you an official form to fill in.
3 The Ehrc will then write to the person or company  you are complaing about and ask them to respond.
4. The ehrc will invite both parties to an informal concilliation meeting, where costs and. compensation will be agreed.
5 Should the defendants refuse to attend or disagree about compensation, the EHRC in many many cases will support legal action in your nearest County Court.
6 The whole scenario will take less than 4 weeks from start to finish.

For examples of recent cases please visit the EHRC web site.
I have used the service three times,and i strongly urge anyone who is being discriminated aginst to contact the EHRC.
Not only will you benefit, we all will benefit from ridding our society of discrimination and we will thereby help disabled people
to enjoy a quality  of life which they deserve.
If any of you have any questions or need help in making a claim feel free to contact me
8 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Equality and Human Right Commission

I seem to be in a good part of the Country, dont think I have seen any bad entrances lately,  Did have Halford Mezanine floor with no access, but after complaint they have fitted a lift
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
Every morning i have to help a mobility scooter user collect his newspaper from the newsagents as they refuse to spend money
altering their premises to provide access.

If modifications are technically difficult, disproportionately expensive, limited by planning constraints etc. etc. then they may have good reason not to provide a full access, ramps etc.. However they are obliged to consider alternatives so that they can serve everyone; even a bell outside would be a good start and there's no reason why they couldn't do that.
Yesterday afternnon I saw a woman crying outside my gp surgery because  there were no wheelchairs available and staff refused on health and safety grounds to help her into the surgery.

That's ridiculous, where's their common sense? I trust she or you complained formally to the deoctors and mangement.
thisoldman
Grafter

txs for reply hp.    The newsagents claims thwey are a protected building and the staff are often too busy to run up to door. pathetic i know.
As Iv sued the surgery twice under dis disc im sure you will understand their reluctance to get ivolved with me and it is someone elses problem not mine.
when you sue someone there are always ramnifications.
Community Veteran

So, no "Big Society" for your village then?  Lips are sealed
thisoldman
Grafter

we can look after ourselves.... Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the centre of my town is a conservation area, and we dont have a  problem, The local council have allowed a change in the steps in some places and several others have small ramps that they use when necessary
idlewis
Grafter

Thanks for the post. thisoldman,  It is important that you raise the issue of disability discrimination as I have been involved heavily involved in the Disability Rights Commission (DRC) being involved in the Learning Disability Action Group and helped shape some of the changes that has been happening.  I am just concerned due to budget cuts that organisations will fail their duties under the different Disability Discrimination laws.
thisoldman
Grafter

my pleasure idlewis:    if what you suggest happens, that will indeed be a sad day for all concerned.
Budget cuts or no cuts, even as we speak, organizations are flouting The DDA se c 26/3.    The EHRC has only limited funds to take deviants to court.

I use a typetalk fone and ud be amazed the number of high street firms that put the phone down ass oon as they hear the typetalk operator.
I shant name and shame but really its a disgrace. Fortunately all tt calls are logged so there is no defence.