Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English is losing importance in Europe

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

English is losing importance in Europe

So declared the president of the European Commission.

I've just watched the first semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest, and out of the 18 entries only Portugal and one country in the east sang in a language other than English.  I don't think we need to worry just yet, Mr Juncker.

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: English is losing importance in Europe

English is the universal global language, as much as it is butchered with regional variations, it's still the standard, and it's never going away, no matter what a Eurocrat with his head residing in his colon says... Funny

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I got the impression he was just laughing up his sleeve. Best ignored and told to tell us another one. Funny

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 104

Unless everyone is going to learn Hindi to deal with IT support I don't see it Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Minivanman
Hero

As "the second most spoken language in England" that would be Polish surely - well it was in 2013 according to this newspaper. Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro

@Minivanman Yes, let Junckers get his head round Polish,(nose fully in a tin of the stuff would be a second choice).

At a family tribe wedding the bride was of Polish extraction, and joining in songs with words before one was hilariously painful.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

My French nephew has a Polish wife and all credit to him he has learnt the language - well I supposed he had to up to a point. Cannot say I'm a fan of the sausage and sauerkraut stew we had at his place though, give me a traditional British curry every time Wink 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman  That reminded me of a woman I saw on one of those holiday programmes, who complained that her chosen resort didn't serve proper English food like Spaghetti Bolognese!

Fixes: 47

Or the couple who went on holiday to Italy and complained upon their return that hardly anyone seemed to speak English.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

hardly anyone seemed to speak English.

Were they talking about Italy or England.Smiley

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

I remember Alan Whicker did a luxury round-the-world flight for wealthy Americans, stopping over in various well-known locations.  Some of the guests complained that there were too many poor people lining the road from the airport into whatever Indian city they visited.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

I just sat through the entire Eurovision Song Contest final, and there is no longer a requirement to repeat everything in French.  In fact the only thing that was translated into French was the twelve-point scores from the national juries.  So much for English losing importance, Mr Juncker. Laugh Laugh Laugh

Minivanman
Hero

What, no "nil pwa"?

Nooo! Smiley

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Who won?Wink

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Who cares!