Did you mean: 

English (Simplified)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

English (Simplified)

Came across this image one the 'net...WhichEnglish.PNG

Gave me a little chuckle. Grin

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: English (Simplified)

Too true though, they can't spell Aluminium or solder (preferring soder!)
That last really confused me the first time I was in the US working, I asked for a soldering iron, got blank looks, until one said oh you mean a SODERING iron ;-)
David_W
Rising Star

English Traditional :

Doth thou request thy installation differ from thine normal, my liege?

English Simplified :

Select Installation Folder.

Community Veteran

Man, that's a cracker!Funny

Geoff,
York.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

American spelling, it's all "as it is pronounced" !

And who decided this way of spelling, and when ?

(Is this the real reason):

On July 4, 1776, the 13 American Colonies declared their independence from Great Britain. Cultural independence followed the political.

In 1783 Noah Webster, the first American lexicographer, began reforming certain spellings and (like George Bernard Shaw a century later) advocated further changes.

French-derived spellings — like "honour," "catalogue," and "centre" — were Anglicized to honor, catalog, and center.

In words where the "s" sounded like "z" or the "c" like an "s," the letters followed the sound: realize, defense, and so forth.

John_Hull
Grafter

Not quite true, otherwise they would have kular (colour) etc. In fairness I think the metal was originally aluminum, and the British changed what we called it. Likewise their system of measurement predates Imperial, which is why they have a smaller gallon. (They have 16fl oz in a pint, not 20, so a gallon is approximately 3.8 L not 4.54 L) That said, I do have a cringe reaction to most Americanisms. Unfortunately, because of their dominance on the world stage, American is becoming the norm. 

Community Veteran

Of course the obvious failing with the reverse Catchphrase of "see what you say" is it often doesn't work with all variations of a word.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

In the Museum of London there are C19th plans that describe rooms as "parlors". Is the UK English spelling an affectation perhaps to give that french sophisticated cachet? Funnily it does originate from Old French.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.