Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English Boundaries

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

English Boundaries

Plans are being discussed that would change the boundaries in England and reduce the number of MP’s in some areas whilst increasing them in others.

This is a attempt to even out the number of voters in each area but seats lost in the North result in gains for the South.

Some have suggested this will strengthen conservative votes in the South resulting in more MP’s for them but how does that fit in with a ‘Power house for the North’ surely these changes will increase support for services in the South rather than the North that have Labour councils under their control.?

Seems the excellent idea of reducing the commons by 50 MP’s has also be dropped, why would they ever support something that could result in losing them their job.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
12 REPLIES 12
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: English Boundaries

Not sure we need to read to much into this politically, and even if it does alter the balance what is more important is the rationale behind the need for Boundary changes which as I understand it is one of electoral equality given that people are far more mobile these days so population within areas change.  

Seems to recall that when this was first proposed, Wales and Scotland would end up with less MP's as a result and that England will finish up with more.

Not quite that Rotten Borough though where one MP represented a farm house, a few fields... and hundreds of sheep! 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman wrote:

Not quite that Rotten Borough though where one MP represented a farm house, a few fields... and hundreds of sheep! 

I thought Wales had more than one M.P.  Roll_eyes

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Boundary changes happen a lot; my constituency has changed at least three times since I moved to this part of town in 1983.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Boundary changes lol.. more like an attempt at vote rigging if you ask me.

They slag off Russia for it's attacks on democracy and then try to stitch up our own political system for their own gain. You really can't trust the tory part much, not only are they [-Censored-] with money, they actually think they're good at being [-Censored-] with it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

So who do you think the boundary changes will benefit, and why?

Ben Walker writing in the New Statesman thinks it will benefit the Tories (well he would wouldn't he) but not to the extent some believe. Trying to stay non partisan here as the mods don't like us discussing raw politics, but happy to PM the link to you.

As for Russia, well anybody managing to get himself to be President, then Prime Minister and then President again with nearly 80% of the vote whilst first banning the main opposition leader and then throwing him in the clink is not my idea of democracy.   

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Boundary changes.

Yes of course, lets do it now when a General Election is 3 years away so it won't be fresh in people's minds then.

I'd better shut up there before I get told off.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Alex 

Well I've had a quick look at the boundary change report although admittedly only as it applies to Wales. I might have time on my hands, but not that much!

Seems to me to be more about taking into account population changes and having a much fairer balance of representation and cannot for the life of me see how it favours one party over another. Time will tell of course and as you say by the time the general election most will have just about forgotten about it.  

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman wrote:

@7up 

So who do you think the boundary changes will benefit, and why?

I suspect the tories think it will benefit themselves - which is what i also think. I don't remember Labour adjusting voting boundaries (i could be wrong on that though so forgive me if i am).

The tories also thought they'd win the brexit vote to stay in by getting as many non voters to register and vote - remember that? - I could never see the logic of that myself. Those who don't register to vote do so because they have no political interest and presumably this is because they don't trust our political elite. Asking them to then register and make a vote for the EU was never going to go their way - the new voters will rebel against the MPs they've disliked for so long. But despite that, it didn't stop Camoron trying! I suspect they foolishly believed that those who don't bother voting were actually content and that by getting them to vote they'd get extra support to remain.

Like i said, the tories for some delussional reason probably believe that boundary changes will benefit them well. I suspect some statician somewhere within Tory HQ has been looking at the last election results and worked out how to strategically position MPs for a better return on votes next time.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman wrote:

@Alex 

Well I've had a quick look at the boundary change report although admittedly only as it applies to Wales. I might have time on my hands, but not that much!

Seems to me to be more about taking into account population changes and having a much fairer balance of representation and cannot for the life of me see how it favours one party over another. Time will tell of course and as you say by the time the general election most will have just about forgotten about it.  

Whilst I have to accept it will make a much fairer balance of representation and may not favour one party over another what it may well do is favour more conservative voters in the south than the north.

The party in power is going to be more supportive of those boroughs where they are in power rather than those controlled by Labour, in other words these changes may have a negative effect in the North where Labour has a greater potential to gain seats/power than it does in the south, excluding certain areas in London.

Whilst there are some areas in the South that are poor I would argue there are many more in the North and East of England based on size of population.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

You may well be right having had a closer look at how it's going to affect England as according to ElectoralCalculus at least, if voting follows the same pattern as in 2019...

The main driver of these changes is the loss of seats from Labour-inclined areas and the increase of seats in traditional Conservative areas of Southern and Eastern England. If these changes were exactly right, the Conservative majority in the House of Commons would have increased from 80 to 110.

But that's if the pattern is repeated, and as the pipe puffing Harold Wilson said, "a week is a long time in politics" - and we've got more than a few of them to go yet.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

My constituency has changed back and forth between Labour and Conservative whether the election was after a boundary change or not.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Y'know thinking about it, I have absolutely no idea when last boundary change even took place. This review they are now about to implement seems to have been going on for yonks.

I know counties were shifted around and changed and some old names disappeared all together such as here in Wales, but other than that and depending on who deems to decide, we either live in Carmarthenshire, Dyfed or sometimes both. As for next close next door Cardiganshire well that has disappeared completely. 

Maybe we should just cut to the chase and name the whole island Airstrip One.