cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

England Decides......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

England Decides......

Now that the Scots have decided they still want to be part of the UNITED kingdom,.... and still be friends with us, so that they get more money per head from U.K taxes, than us poor english people,
will there be a YES/NO campaign by the politicians, to have a referendum, to decide if we still want them  Undecided  (note thesmiley title ! ).
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: England Decides......

Will Alex Salmond do the decent thing and resign?
Will his party disband?
The people have decided that he's pretty much a spent force.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This could be very interesting as it would appear that the Conservatives intend to go into the next election promising to stop Scottish MP's voting on matters where the powers are devolved to Scottish Parliament and it is almost certain that the Labour Party will not support this as it could severely limit their ability to govern
The other factor is the Barnett Formula under which spending per head in Scotland is around 15 per cent higher than in England, and five per cent higher than in Wales, which has much more severe problems with deprivation and under-investment.
See also the Commission Report on devolution http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130403030652/http://tmc.independent.gov.uk/
sjptd
Grafter

One thing the results make clear (and Andrew Marr underlined) is that the yes/no divide was not nearly as closely along SNP/other lines as had been expected.
There are many people who support SNP for a devolved Scottish government but don't want devolution, any many may even support  Alex Salmond in the role of head of SNP and leader of a Scottish assembly.
(I wouldn't be one of them, but it's not my call.)
Fixes: 47

Thank you to the 'don't knows' for playing safe and voting No Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: sjptd
the yes/no divide was not nearly as closely along SNP/other lines as had been expected.
If (as I am via FreeSat) you are watching the Scottish broadcasts they've been discussing this in detail and are being pretty frank about it too!.
They are pretty much saying it's a class/deprivation issue and that the Scottish middle classes came out en masse to vote no while the more deprived were suckered by the grass is greener story.
On top of that is the geographic factor so that the borders are more Union-biased and the remote areas see no advantages as they will become an outpost on an outpost.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

wonder how many of the 'Yes' vote were voting against Cameron/Clegg as apposed to 'Yes' for independence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm from North Yorkshire and my son works in Angus living in  Kerrimuir
As I understand it there are more similarities between urban between the two countries and  rural between the two countries. Than differences between Scotland and England
In the country the demographics are farmers with small towns providing the professions and services. These areas are more concerned with bank loans and mortgages, business plans and markets. Probably EU regulation and grants. No voters!
The large urban areas it's deprivation, social provision, youth unemployment with the input from the class warriors. Yes Voters SNP activists
Smiley Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
Thank you to the 'don't knows' for playing safe and voting No Smiley

+1
However I do think it is wrong that scottish MPs are able to vote on english matters when the opposite is not happening.
Scotland now has its own government, england should too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Quote from: 7up
Scotland now has its own government, england should too.
+1 I admit I am disappointed with the result but it is what it is and for once my vote actually meant something to me, something I most likely wont experience again in my lifetime. I do hope England gets its future addressed properly too. You deserve it and you need it. Down with the lot of them I say.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: M
Down with the lot of them I say.

+1
I am with you 100% on this.
Although I must say I am disappointed you wanted to go indy, I am glad that you and the rest of the Yes campaign gave westminster a good show and a very close shave! This is something that they can no longer ignore (though I suspect they'll try). Scotland has at least dealt westminster a massive near miss and it has got them panicking.
So for that M Steve I say thank you. I didn't want to loose my scottish chums and felt a bit hurt that some would want to leave but you've done a fine job of making westminster think again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

@7up Sorry to disappoint you but like I said I voted for change and one thing I think all of us can Unite on is like you said that lot in Westminster are getting a rude awakening and the future now lies in English hands. Smiley Give em hell for me!! Grin
Community Veteran

...Scotland now has its own government, england should too.

+1 on that. It will be interesting to see what the political parties start saying on this matter.
Community Veteran

As I can never see MP numbers dwindling I think all party's in parliament will now go for a mass expansion of local government.
More jobs for the boys.

Though I can say I wasn't exactly fond of Alex Salmond or anything he stood for all credit to him for resigning.
Many in public office bet the farm, lose, and carry on regardless as though nothing of consequence has happened.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Given the continuing risk to the UK defence from the Scottish independence movement the UK Government should look long and hard at the concept of building its naval ships only in Scotland. The shipyards on the South coast should be given sufficient share of the work to ensure we're not left without naval shipbuilding capability. All to often cost cutting overrides sensible security infrastructure resilience. We should also have an alternate base in England  for our UK submarines.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.