cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineering marvel:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Engineering marvel:

I'm no great lover of spiders and other creepy-crawlies but, I've just I've just looked out of my kitchen window and, glistening in the bright sun is a spider web that stretches from the guttering just above the window (its a bungalow) to a part of the garden fence some fifteen feet away...how does it do this? The quite small spider is just sitting in the middle of its web, red eyed and dripping fangs, just waiting for me to walk into the web when I go out to cut the grass.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Engineering marvel:

There is a nice animation here which shows how they do it. Still a wondrous process.
scootie
Grafter

i have sercret love of making spiders think they have baged them selfs a catch. dont know the name of the spider but the ones that hide in a hole an make a small web around the outer edge of the hole are my fav.
wolfspiders a pretty gd at getting about once they have hatched they will find a high point attach a string web down then send a length out with them on the end and once they get a bigger enough updarft they will relese them selfs to let the wind take them to pastures new
James
Grafter

Not really such a secret now is it?
scootie
Grafter

got my eyes on you. best not tell one  Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: ASBO
i have sercret love of making spiders think they have baged them selfs a catch. dont know the name of the spider but the ones that hide in a hole an make a small web around the outer edge of the hole are my fav.

Would you believe its called a funnel web, had some in my garden,  But if you are in Aus dont go near then, very poisoness.
In my samll front garden 10x30 ft  I am getting at least 15 web with large spiders every day, must be a lot of flying insects around, just going out to try and get a pic
pierre_pierre
Grafter

program on BBC1 last week doing a tensile test on one strand of a Spiders web
SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTARY: Bang Goes the Theory
On: BBC 1 East (1)   
Date: Monday 28th September 2009 (Already shown)
Time: 19:30 to 20:00 (30 minutes long)
Science series. Jem Stansfield puts spider silk - the strongest material in the natural world - to the test; Liz Bonnin joins the RAF's flight school to find out the truth about multi-tasking; Dr Yan Wong experiments with sodium acetate; and Dallas Campbell dusts off his top hat to reveal the secret science of magic.
two pics of front garden spiders
scootie
Grafter

all ready seen that program.
it's amazing how many webs are actual out in the garden you just dont see them all till there has been a  misty morning or a frost
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If I ever catch a fly in the house I like to release them in to a spiders web and then watch how they wrap them in silk.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jelv
If I ever catch a fly in the house

You catch flies jelv...you really should get out more!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The damn things scare the willies out of me but even i'll admit they're fascinating when it comes to how they get about and build webs.
Scary looking suckers tho
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!