cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy saving light bulbs.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Energy saving light bulbs.

Bought a few of these several years ago. They are the odd shaped spiral design and quite large but have had no problems with them.
Over the past year I have purchased a number of G10 bulbs which are much smaller, several of these consisted of a number of Led's others just a single bulb surrounded by a large heat sink. I Have had nothing but trouble with virtually all of them, in the case of those made up of a number of led's I found these started to fail on an individual basis and the other G10s with a single bulb either dimmed over a period of time or flickered for several minutes before coming on.
They have been tried in different appliances so it's nothing to do with the lamp or other unit they are fitted into.
When selling these bulbs the makers claim that whilst they are more expensive over their lifetime they will save over £20 plus in electricity costs per bulb.
Am I unlucky or are these claims just a con ?
I have purchased a total of fourteen G10 bulbs from different outlets and of different make so it's not like I have purchased a batch of faulty ones.
Anyone else use these type of bulbs ? Can anyone recommend anyone who sells these bulbs based on personal experience.
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Energy saving light bulbs.

i haven't used them, but certainly been looking at them to replace some we have.
from what I've read it does seem to be the more you spend the better quality the light, but they seem to be expensive branded ones by philips or Panasonic.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I've seen a suggestion that you shouldn't mix LED and halogen on the same circuit - I wonder if that is causing your issues?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

That's interesting but not sure what is meant by circuit ?
Is it the ring circuit for all the lighting in your house of is it just the actual appliance where more than one bulb can be fitted ?
Community Veteran

I took as the lights on a single switch as I could see some logic if they affected the startup current. But I don't actually know.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I have a total of 20 led lamps in the house, each rated at 3.4watts for 50watts of output. Had most them for nearly 2 years now and never had a problem.
Even got 3 in outside lamps. I bought them in bulk on eBay for about £2.50 per lamp.
We also have 5 halogen lamps too on the same circuit without a problem.
Geoff,
York.
Razer
Grafter

I use LED bulbs - pure white. The light is so much better. I hate having to go back to compact fluorescents or filament bulbs when one of them goes because the light is so bloody awful. It's like shining a light through a tangerine, it's so orange/yellow. The downside to the LED's I've been using is that they don't seem to last long. I'm on my second set as the first two went within a few months. Oh, the other downside is I've found it difficult getting bayonet fittings.
kmilburn
Grafter

If your LED bulbs are failing that quickly,  I'd take/send them back as faulty.  Most (decent) LED bulbs are rated for 10,000 hours or more!
I've got GU10 LEDs in a number of rooms which have lasted over a year (and counting),  and they are guaranteed for 3 years!
Razer
Grafter

It's not worth the cost to send them all the way back to China (I bought them on ebay).
kmilburn
Grafter

Another example of, you get what you pay for,  maybe!
Let alone the non existent consumer rights with purchases like those.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Low energy light bulbs are a con. Aside from the extra cost, pollution involved in manufacture, the supporting calculations take no account of the extra energy required to make/dispose of them, nor do they allow for the heating effect of the bulbs in a centrally heated house (less central heating energy is required).
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
zpeterk
Grafter

I put 10 of the Philips 7W ones in our local con club 3 years ago and they are still working after 60 hours a week. Conversely a customer of mine had 20 off fleebay last summerand they have all packed up
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: kmilburn
Another example of, you get what you pay for,  maybe!
Let alone the non existent consumer rights with purchases like those.

Yes, I think so. So I just swallow the loss, as it were, and buy some more.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
I use LED bulbs - pure white. The light is so much better. I hate having to go back to compact fluorescents or filament bulbs when one of them goes because the light is so bloody awful. It's like shining a light through a tangerine, it's so orange/yellow. The downside to the LED's I've been using is that they don't seem to last long. I'm on my second set as the first two went within a few months. Oh, the other downside is I've found it difficult getting bayonet fittings.
Agree the white light is much better for reading (well at least for me)
Also a recommendation on one of the photography sites that white lighting should be used in the computer room if working on photographs.
Razer
Grafter

Which I do regularly!