cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy saving light bulbs.

Community Veteran

Re: Energy saving light bulbs.

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
On the subject of enery saving lightbulbs; may be a stupid question I know but can you get energy saving spotlights these days? I have a few spotlight strips in some rooms of the house. I don't want to get rid of them, but I fancy cutting down costs.

You can get them in large B&Q stores, but they are very pricey, and longer than filament lamps so look very odd, in some fitting.
Chilly
madswitcher
Rising Star

Before everyone starts replacing their light bulbs en bloc, can I suggest you have a look at this article and others on the subject - the politicians certainly have not thought the whole thing through (as usual - pandering to a short-term PR opportunity)
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm
Mike
Community Veteran

Great article.
Chilly
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
On the subject of enery saving lightbulbs; may be a stupid question I know but can you get energy saving spotlights these days? I have a few spotlight strips in some rooms of the house. I don't want to get rid of them, but I fancy cutting down costs.

www.screwfix.com
They are owned by B & Q, but might be a bit cheaper and they deliver next day.
Rikaitch
Grafter

I just got one of the energy monitors from Lidl's (thanks Ed) and I have to say I can see it saving me a fortune! The thing cost me £5.99 and already I have worked out my son's bedroom (stereo, tv, xbox, dvd player), even with everything turned off, is using 250 watts. That means it's costing 60p a day, and that's if he doesn't turn anything on! I can see it only taking a week and a half  to pay for the thing!
Community Veteran

If all these items are using 250 Watts while on standby you either have a bad power meter or a serious electrical fault!
alanb
Grafter

I've been a little disappointed with the low-energy replacements for globe shaped bulbs, but I've got a couple of light fittings with low-energy compact fluorescent R80 spotlights and I'm very impressed with them.
The low-energy R80's are possibly a little brighter than the old incandescent bulbs I took out, and there is only a brief delay of about 2 or 3 seconds before they achieve full brightness. My only negative comment is that the R80 bulb is about 0.5 inch longer overall, so it sticks out of the light fitting a bit - it's not a problem for me, but could be for others, depending on the nature of the light fittings.
I also got mine from B&Q and they were a little expensive, but that was about 18 months ago.