cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy saving light bulbs.

Community Veteran

Energy saving light bulbs.

I recently got my electrtic bill and was deeply shocked! (Excuse the pun).
I decided something had to be done, and switching off my 2 servers was not an option. Next best idea because it is comming into the winter months, was energy saving light bulbs as to date, I am very ashamed to say, I had none.
I went to price them in Asda and much to my delight they were only £1.82 each!
At this price I emptied the shelf into the trolley and paid a grand total of £36.40.
I replaced every bulb in the house (and outside) with 5 left over. I even replaced a dimmer switch with a normal one so I could replace every bulb.
Undoubtly Theese bulbs will pay for themselves many times over in their lifetime and I can again justify running 2 servers in my attic 24/7.
I strongly recomend anyone who has not done so to do the same.
Just incase I forget, if anyone is looking for a large amount of second hand filiment light bulds let me know! LoL.
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Energy saving light bulbs.

Quote from: seanbranagh
I can again justify running 2 servers in my attic 24/7.

www.vmware.com gives yo no excuse to be running two servers.
Quote from: seanbranagh
Just incase I forget, if anyone is looking for a large amount of second hand filiment light bulds let me know! LoL.

I have the same problem, I have been replacing mine slowing, and now I have a bag of filament lamps left over.
Chilly
ed
Grafter

Run your servers on a Pentium M laptop it will be less than 60watts Tongue
Core 2 Duo is the next best option.
I'm interested to hear other peoples electric bills.
I switch everything off at the mains (no standby) and have energy saving bulbs, I still run a server 24x7 and four people with their own computers, and my bill this quater was £130. (my previous was £170!)
I managed to save £50 but i don't know how much of this was due to fuel costs coming down so tell me you bill so i can compare.. please Smiley
Community Veteran

My servers are quite old machines. One is a 1.3Ghz P3 and the other a Dual 1Ghz P3. Withe a total of 6 IDE drives and several fans, I measured them both at about 130Watts with a handy little device from maplin: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&criteria=power%20meter&doy=6m10
I am happy enough with 130Watts for the 2 machines.
alanb
Grafter

If you choose the right components you can get very low power consumption. My home-made server consumes 24 to 26 watts.
I've got this VIA motherboard ...
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=21
In this case ...
http://www.morex.com.tw/products/productdetail.php?fd_id=32 ; (It's a got a 60 watt laptop style power supply and I have disconnected the case fans.)
I've fitted a Samsung Spinpoint disc drive. This is a particularly nice drive, it's low-power and the quietest standard 3.5 disc drive I've ever seen (probably because Spinpoints were originally designed for use in video recorders). I've also fitted a slimline CD Rom drive, as used in laptops, but no monitor, keyboard, or mouse.
I built a couple of these in 2003 to use as file and print servers and they're still going strong. All I've done to them is upgrade the disc a couple of years ago to increase capacity. The CPU on the motherboard would be considered very underpowered these days, but it is more than adequate to run NFS, Samba, NTP and other network services, but you would not want to run a GUI on them every day.
Incidentally, I've currently got a Maplin power meter measuring my Pentium 4 workstation, monitor, a server, 8 port switch/router, modem and a KVM switch. The display is showing a total consumption of 243 watts.
ed
Grafter

You didn't tell me how much your elecy bill was, don't be shy Wink
Community Veteran

Too much!  Angry
ed
Grafter

I just got a Lidl panflet through the door and they are doing the Energy Monitor Tool for £6.99!!! And 8 sockets with surge protection and an on/off switch for £5.99
Gona get me some of those Smiley
Rikaitch
Grafter

Just this week I saw in Tesco's an intelligent power strip, with 8 sockets that turns off which ever sockets you want when you turn off your TV or whatever, by detecting the signal from your remote control. I promptly got one, and have yet to say how much it saved me, but so far all my TV stuff in my lounge is controlled by it, everything except the Sky which is a pain and take 5 minutes to start up. Things like the DVD players (one's a recordable), surround sound, TV, and video all turn off when I press the standby to my TV on the remote. And it was only just a little under £22. I looked for it on their website, but being the usual way they're organised, I'd probably only find it in the frozen fish section so I gave up looking.
The closest thing I found to it was from Maplin here
Community Veteran

I decided to wire my power meter permanently into the power going to everything on my network. This was quite simple to do as I already had everything connected through one place with isolation switches. Details and intersting pictures at:
http://www.seanbranagh.com/network
ed
Grafter

Lidl's got the master/slave socket strips too for £5.99!! (when your computer powers down everything else on the strip powers down too)
Monday for the Energy Monitor and Thursday for thw Power Strips.
I heard if i want stuff from Lidl I'd better get in the queue at 8am when the door opens as stuff runs out fast. Not surprised at those prices Tongue
I've got my house wired up too (pre WiFi) I'm using solid core plenum grade CAT5 cable for thru wall routing with wall boxes.
I think there is some legal thing about using solid copper cores when cabling thru walls. Less of a fire risk i suppose. Rather worryingly i see a lot of Dlink. I had one of their routers go up in smoke so i wouldn't trust them personaly in my attic.
Satalite dishes, wow crazy dude  Cool have you seen the new LinkSys Wifi router it has GigaBit ethernet and a mini stalite dish on it and they claim 300mbps WiFi with it!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I was in a Tesco's (giant size) emporium at the weekend.
I thought I would like to stock up on incandescent (tungsten filament) style bulbs.
It seems that standard size bayonet fitting 60W bulbs don't exist any more
I have a chandelier in the front room that takes 3 bulbs. Two bulbs are the imitation fluorescent type (that flicker and flash when you switch them on).
I wanted a proper bulb for the 3rd socket so that I get instant light on initial start-up...

Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
Environmentalists state that the 80% energy saving from energy saving lightbulbs makes them the only item worth replacing in a working state for no reason other than achieving energy savings.

Indeed, and shows that all the current move towards ruching out and buying 'environmentally friendly' cars, fridges etc is doing more harm than good to some extent. The environmental savings of buying new are generally small, and are often outweighed energy cost in making the new one.
Quote from: ed
I think there is some legal thing about using solid copper cores when cabling thru walls.

Not with network cables, AFAIK, as they are carrying such low current that there is next to no heating effect. There are requirements for LSZH (Low Smoke Zero Halogen) insulation in some areas e.g air con ducts.
ed
Grafter

Tell that to the Manchester BT cable tunnel which caught fire while i was working for Manchester University as a network engineer, it was also part of my MCSE (Networking MCP) qualification but the law might be USA specific I'm not sure on that Tongue
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: Rikaitch
Just this week I saw in Tesco's an intelligent power strip, with 8 sockets that turns off which ever sockets you want when you turn off your TV or whatever, by detecting the signal from your remote control.

They were on Dragon's Den about 12 months ago.  Great invention and they're reaping big rewards from it now!