Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy comparison sites

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Energy comparison sites

If you thought shopping for broadband was difficult, gas & electric are another kettle of fish totally!! My tariff is coming to an end and even though in credit, my monthly payments are increasing £20pm, that's a 25% increase in a year 😲.

Anyhoo, my current provider doesn't accept Economy 7 meters so both readings have been rolled into 1. Not a problem, but all the comparison sites want to know what my Economy 7 consumption is. All the comparison sites seem to give the same sort of (inflated) prices, except one, the meerkats one. I out in the exact same usage information and the annual bill comes out £5pm less than i'm paying now, and that's with the big providers. I don't trust that site to switch as I don't know why they are so much cheaper than everyone else and you would be trapped into a 2 year contract if the pricing structure was wrong.

Not sure where to go now really, i'm sure it is a case of "suck it up buttercup".

25 REPLIES 25
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Energy comparison sites

If you are not sure about the accuracy of those "compare the market" type sites...  Why not go to the individual suppliers website and put your information in .... it may be a tad tedious... but could prove "enlightening".

I am with one of the "big six" on a 2 year fixed tarrif... I  "could" pay by direct debit....  but I choose to pay for my stuff as I use it... so I do not have a "smart" meter.... I don`t need one... I`m smart enough to read the meter which is in a cupboard next to my laptop !. once a month on the "due date".  I enter the readings, and usually , within seconds, the site comes back with the bill... at worst I have to wait 24 hours for an email .  Then I go to my online bank and pay the bill...

If I paid by direct debit.. it would save me £12 per year... WOW..... well worth it, to some... but I prefer to know that my utils are paid up... per month.... and the correct amount is paid...not to be gazumped by the supplier who only sees me as a cash cow, to increase their bank balance, and interest, at my expense, by demanding more than is necessary to cover the bill..

Imagine going to the Petrol station, and having to pay a fixed amount per month, for your fuel.... you would not do that... why do it with gas and elec ? ? ? 

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I've done the big 5 (NPower is now Eon), Octopus and Ovo, they are all pretty much of a much and certainly no cheaper/ expensive than going through some of the comparison sites. Ovo seems to offer the best in a fixed rate deal over 2 years, but with a £60 early leaving fee, so what if they have underestimated my usage (even though my usage figures have been entered)? £40 cashback on Quidco, is it enough to make me change?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Marksfish wrote: my current provider doesn't accept Economy 7 meters so both readings have been rolled into 1. Not a problem, but all the comparison sites want to know what my Economy 7 consumption is.

I had that problem with a supplier that did just that but eventually I just got on a comparison web site and entered known readings for both - after all, they might be rolled into one but they are still separate readings at the end of the day. I've been with more than a couple of suppliers since that do use both readings. And it does make a difference in how much you pay. Shop around and do change.

Although, saying that, my E7 meter goes tomorrow as its being replaced (reached the end of its life - supposedly) by a smart meter. But even then it'll still be see which suppliers is doing a decent deal at least once a year. No loyalty here when it comes to utilities. They all promise the earth but the amount paid tends to drift up each year.

@shutter so I do not have a "smart" meter.... I don`t need one... I`m smart enough to read the meter which is in a cupboard next to my laptop !. once a month on the "due date".  I enter the readings, and usually , within seconds, the site comes back with the bill... at worst I have to wait 24 hours for an email . 

You'll get one sooner (or later) 😁 All meters get changed at some point. They are certified for a given life span. Once outside that certification period it is no longer a certified meter and as such you could (in theory) dispute any readings.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@idonno  Well, it will definitely be "later"... rather than sooner...because I have specifically told the supplier, that I do not want any more "promotional" emails, regarding smart meter installation... and that I am quite capable of reading my meter and submitting the readings regularly, and accurately, on the due date, as proved by my account history... They have accepted that... and I have heard nothing to the contrary since, 4 years now ! .

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

@Marksfish 

I had the same problem with an Economy 7 meter years ago so I kicked up a fuss and it was changed to a single tariff type.

Anyway I’m now on a Smart meter, not because I wanted one but because I found that there were cheaper tariffs available if you agree to have one. 
I go to price comparison sites and find a good price. I then get the tariff details and check the cost myself using a spreadsheet on my computer.

Strat
Fixes: 514

I'm having fun 😖

6 years ago Npower fitted smart meters.

2 years ago the gas meter stopped sending readings home.

18 months ago Npower sent an engineer to replace the gas meter. New gas meter ok but electric not sending readings home.

12 months ago Npower told me E.ONNext were taking over my energy supplies and would be dealing with my problem.

2 month ago E.ONNext started diagnosing the problem.

Today I am waiting for the results of a remote reset, allegedly in 3 days time.

21 days to reboot a system. Is it running on a ZX81 Roll_eyes

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0.1 (64-bit)

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@idonno wrote:

@shutter

You'll get one sooner (or later) 😁 All meters get changed at some point.

True, but you can opt to have it installed but not activated, and continue to submit manual readings.

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

Just for fun - I got a new tariff in March, which specified it was only available on 'Smart meters', so, as my meter was a 'dumb' one, I had to agree to it being changed which I reluctantly did. A few weeks later, the guys turned up to do the swap, went down the cellar with their test gear and came back and said 'It's not going to work - can't get a signal'.

I then said ' What a surprise - funnily enough, your colleagues have already been here twice and told me that - as I have told your company, but they insist I have to have one.' So they nip out for a ciggie and to ring 'Technical Support', having said 'I'll tell them it is a waste of time'. 40 minutes or so, after what sounded like quite a heated discussion, they come back in, carrying the new meter and say 'Computer says we've got to fit it'.

So leccy goes off  while they swap, then they come back and say 'It ain't working - surprise, surprise' and go and spend another 20 minutes on the phone to 'Technical Support', come back and carry out more tests/tweaks - no difference. Further phone call and 'Finally, they agree we can put the original one back'. So, they spend even more time switching everything back, and after having no power for close to two hours, I'm back on the original meter.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,206

@Marksfish wrote:

I've done the big 5 (NPower is now Eon), Octopus and Ovo, they are all pretty much of a much and certainly no cheaper/ expensive than going through some of the comparison sites. Ovo seems to offer the best in a fixed rate deal over 2 years, but with a £60 early leaving fee, so what if they have underestimated my usage (even though my usage figures have been entered)? £40 cashback on Quidco, is it enough to make me change?

Whichever provide you choose your usage is your usage, you're not buying an unlimited tariff.

They can only estimate your bill on your usage. Best thing to do is compare standing charge / unit price for a set use (based on your actual) and see which is cheaper.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

We are on that economy 7 for what it's worth and although it's cheaper for when we use that washing machine or the bread-maker overnight (we got rid of the dishwasher) - the company that we are with bumped up the daytime rate. Not by much granted but it does seem par for the course when savings are offered in one place they are increased in another.

Personally I'm now pretty fed up with chasing around for the best price... and that includes here on the internet. 

Confused dot com, confused certainly.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

I've recently started a second 12 month contract with So Energy .

The absolute cheapest provider changes from week to week, but So always seem to be competitive, and their customer service is second to none. No point in saving a few pennies if you can't get any support if needed.

I can PM a reference to get £40 introductory offer if required.

EDIT: Spelling correction

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

The problem with small suppliers is that they can start out with few customers and offer good support. They then get some good reviews about price and service resulting in a big increase in customers, with which they can’t cope and their reputation plummets.

Then if they are buying on the spot market and energy prices spike they go bust.

I’ll stick with the big boys who can buy forward and/or generate their own.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,206

Yeah, my supplier (Yorkshire Energy) went bust backend of last year.
Painful having to wait to get put on a more big six expensive tariff and then having to switch again.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

How did we ever get to the point where we are now all chasing our tails trying to get the best deal for essential services such as water, gas, electric and now some would argue, the internet. 

Clue, first name Margaret, second name Blair as both could have stopped privatisation in it's tracks, and whilst I don't subscribe to such things as critical race theory or cultural Marxism, Karl had it right when it came to economics.

Essential services need to disengage from the private sector otherwise next in line (and the writings on the wall) will be shopping around for the best essential health car deal.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.