cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy company recommendations

randpwar
Grafter

Energy company recommendations

I’ve been pretty old fashioned in the past and have had the gas from British Gas and electricity from Eon but with prices only heading one way I’m looking to put them through the same supplier and, hopefully, make savings.
I’m hoping some of you may have already been down this path and have some recommendations on the cheapest supplier
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Energy company recommendations

I've gone with the co-op as they have a policy of only having one simple tariff and they are pretty competitive on price
https://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've been with First Utility for past couple of years, seem reasonable and price is lowest for me here.
Fixes: 47

I'm on a fixed tariff with Npower but a quick check on www.uswitch.com now shows Spark Energy as the best deal for me.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

I've not had any issues with Scottish Power since we switched
Will Moderate For Thanks
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks for the recommendations folks, and also the uswitch website (thanks strat), I sense a little bit of work for me over the coming evenings. I’ll keep the forum posted on what, if any, savings I’m able to make by shopping around
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: randpwar
Thanks for the recommendations folks, and also the uswitch website (thanks strat), I sense a little bit of work for me over the coming evenings.

Use the comparison sites every year. The energy companies are devious monkeys - it is (almost) guaranteed that the company offering the best deal for you now will suddenly become uncompetitive when the deal runs out. Switching energy suppliers is still a fairly lengthy process timewise, but it IS easy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That's why I liked what the co-op are offering. None of this offering new customers better deals and needing to keep changing accounts to stay on the best deal.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
..... None of this offering new customers better deals and needing to keep changing accounts to stay on the best deal.

The Coops best deal, yes. But they won't tell you if EDF for example have a better deal. When I came to renew a few months back even the best deal available from Scottish Power was way below EDF. Equally I am sure that at some point in the next five years I will be back at Scottish Power
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I was very happy with the service from British Gas and would have been prepared to pay a little more to stay with it. However, I use very little gas and the introduction of a standing charge meant that I would have being paying something like £8 per month standing charge for £2.50 of gas. I moved to Ebico. Not cheap but for my relatively modest energy usage not that much different to the standard offerings from the large companies.
No standing charge. Quarterly billing for the energy that I actually use rather than some dreamed up fixed monthly payment that often comes with a cheap tariff. No additional charges for those who prefer not to pay by direct debit.
Just one tariff for Gas and two for Electricity (i.e. with Economy 7 and without)
SSE actually provides the service on behalf of Ebico.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: beeceegee
Use the comparison sites every year. The energy companies are devious monkeys - it is (almost) guaranteed that the company offering the best deal for you now will suddenly become uncompetitive when the deal runs out. Switching energy suppliers is still a fairly lengthy process timewise, but it IS easy

Strangely the deal I had with FU ran out in OCT, I searched and the best price was STILL FU. Different tariff (dearer of course) but fixed again for another year or 2.
I agree the process is silly long 2 MONTHS for me to switch from NPower to FU last time.
I just moved off a standing charge tariff to a non standing charge one, certainly makes for fun hacking a spreadsheet to handle all the options, of SC/nn units @x then rest @y etc.
beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: Hairy
Strangely the deal I had with FU ran out in OCT, I searched and the best price was STILL FU.

One thing to bear in mind is that deals will vary by region - who offers best in East of England will not necessarily be best in the North West. If I run my numbers through uswitch now EDF are still joint top (along with newcomer  "isupplyenergy") and FU 4th behind 3 EON plans, albeit with the plus point of a 2 year deal.
FU - great acronym for an energy company btw   Smiley
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Spark Energy has the best deal for me.

From recent experience with this company I'd advise to avoid them at all costs.
They initially started by taking around double the amount t originally indicated they would (from £66 to £130 per month)
Their online account was flaky as hell,  and mostly down for around two months.
Somehow ended up with two different account numbers,  resulting in online access failing.
Having transferred away 3 months ago, so far,  beyond a sorry you're leaving letter, no final statement has been received,  nor a refund.
I'm just waiting for my brother to get back so he can chase them to find out what they're up to (usual DPA problem trying to act on someone elses behalf).
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
I moved to Ebico.

As did I some time ago. It fills me with rage that other companies charge a standing charge. To my mind it is a sort of blackmail, much like charges with ISPs for moving to another ISP. I wish I could get water supply/sewerage without a standing charge too.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Razer
I wish I could get water supply/sewerage without a standing charge too.

I do with Anglian Water