cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Suppliers - Again!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Energy Suppliers - Again!

I think I am correct in saying that this year's Big Deal Collective Switch was to Extra Energy (apologies to them if not). The CAB has just published its latest quarterly review of energy provider performance. It speaks for itself!

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/s...

The ratio referred to is complaints per 100,000 customers.

I stayed with First Utility even though I had been having problems. All resolved now though. They seem to have seen the light. Their prices are as low as anybody's if you choose the right tariff, and certainly a lot better than the companies in the top eight of the list.

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Energy Suppliers - Again!

It's interesting to see some of the big five seem to have got their act together.

I stayed with First Utility as well. They are now asking me to tie in with them for a further 2 years.

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Ive not long switched from E-on to So Energy after martin lewis and >> https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/ recomended them for being cheap.

So Energy has been supplying gas and leccy for 2 years now, they quoted me cheaper than any of the other companys on the market so im giving them ago if things dont work out then all i pay is £5 per fuel to leave my 12 month contract. Im currently 1 month into my contract any i have nothing to complain about. The only reason i left E-on is because they couldnt beat the quote i got from So Energy. Some people say to keep away from new compaines but if it was not for people giving new companies a try most of you would still be with the big 6!!!

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@St3, I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but how has your experience been with So Energy ?

My current fix is expiring next month and I'm maybe looking at giving one of the smaller suppliers a chance.

I'm considering So Energy and Octopus and the moment, So are slightly cheaper but Octopus seem more established and have more review data to go on.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I just moved from Npower to Iresa.
So far I have had a conformation that all with be switched early next month. Started just over 2 weeks ago, Had conformation from NP that the switch is going ahead for both, so so far so good.
Read the many mixed reviews on this company, but the savings were just too good, and no charge to leave if I have problems. I WAS going to move back to FU but after my issues last year and the £200 saving I just couldn't do it. (FU wanted ~£95/mo and Iresa £77.50/mo (vs NP @£75 at the mo) (both fixed for 12 months)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I did look at Iresa , as you say the savings are very good. However I was put off by the large percentage of negative reviews

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The big problem is that tariffs are not directly comparable unless you can predict how much energy you will use each month, in advance and the distribution over the coming year.

Community Veteran

My usage has been pretty constant over past 3 years, so I usually put in how much I used over the past year in the comparison/quote screen.
Been pretty accurate for me.
@MisterW since they are a new small supplier, I was expecting poor reviews to start with, the trouble is most people only complain not praise online. So you see loads of -ve feedback but not much +ve. Will see how it goes.
As I said what prompted me to move was the large saving and the ZERO cost transfer if something goes bad. (compared to £60 with FU/NP etc)
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I switched from E.ON to Avro last November; first time a switch has gone smoothly! Ongoing cost same as previous year, but big saving over renewal offer, E.ON wanted to tie me to 24 months at a huge cost increase. None of the other big companies were anywhere near either.

I was a bit nervous about going with a small supplier - I had been on the point of signing with GB Energy when they suddenly went bust. But 5 months in and all is going fine. OK the website looks like it was designed by a 5 year old, but it works; monthly meter readings entered online and a bill follows within days; and no termination penalties.

St3
All Star

I moved from them to BG after 1 month because i saved an extra £100 a year, so i cant really say what there like. They seam friendly enough and their website seam to work correctly.

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Seams like a definite success in avoiding the use of all apostrophes.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

How long before all new customers will have to agree to a smart meter?

Community Veteran

Go with a small provider, no smart meter needed/wanted.
Personally I don't want one, look at the problems one of the big 6 had with meters NOT sending readings since last Nov.