cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Saving Websites.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Energy Saving Websites.

A Number of adverts in the press offer to check your current energy supplier against the cheapest supplier thus saving you money.
Two questions.........Are these sites a  con and do they get commission for anyone signing up via their site ?
I am aware that on the face of it that they may be able to compare and find you the cheapest energy company (unless of course they get commission from a specific company) but within months the energy companies change their prices so you are no longer with the cheapest company. I recall that for one short period British Gas was the cheapest for Gas & Electricity !
Sure you can change companies but the numerous cock ups that can occur when doing this are frequently reported by users, thus discouraging you from attempting it in the first place.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Energy Saving Websites.

I have used the comparison sites quite often, not that I change every time the price changes.... basically to see IF I could save a significant amount of money, by comparing my ACTUAL current bills against the "suggested" cheapest supplier... Usually the cost saving is less than £1 or £2 per week at best,.... and as gleneagles has said, the chances of having a year of messed up bills for the sake of saving (say) £40 over a year, just does not seem worth the hassle...
Community Veteran

As far as I know most companies now do not have a standing charge so it is fairly easy to compare the unit cost of gas/electricity you are currently paying with the cost from the other suppliers.
Community Veteran

I've just checked my unit costs and they are as follows:
Gas - Primary units 5.975p/kWh  Secondary units 3.093p/kWh
Electricity Primary units 16.81p/kWh  Secondary units 11.82kWh
I'm with EON and in addition to the above unit charges we get an allowance of free gas when the temperature drops to 32F.  This isn't much but last winter I got £28 if I remember rightly.
It would be interesting to hear what others pay.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

and I can't get any of the best deals - why? - because we don't have mains gas.
Unfair isn't it  Sad
Community Veteran

Are you charged a higher rate on electricity because you don't have mains gas?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Typically yes because all the good deals are based on shifting the gas supply to the electrical supplier
smiffyb36
Grafter

Thats actually incorrect Jim, it's cheaper to have your gas and electricity supply seperate, the dual fuel discounts NEVER equal the savings made by splitting the services unless you are a very low user and you don't get a better deal on one by taking the other fuel.
You are partly right though, as silly as it sounds the traditional gas companies are cheaper for electricty and visa versa - go figure  Undecided
Im a BG hater but must admit their elec prices have been some of the most competetive for 5 years + now.
With the uncertainty of the last few years the best bets have been capped price deals with some customers i've dealt with saving hundreds of pounds over the term (generally 3-5 years), but with the industry seeming to stabilise i'm unsure as to wether this would be a major benefit right now, depends what happens in the future but no way to tell. Some providers are now offering price tracker packages which will adjust your rate to ensure it is competetive which are smart - careful of the T+C's though as some may tie you in.
I said previously on a similar thread the best deals are those not advertised, you will not find them on price comparison sites. eg Websaver 5 from BG saved me over 200 pounds a year when switching 4 years ago. Not advertised and took some searching to find it at the time.
Artmo - Eon's winter rebate is debatable, it's ok for the lowest users but the savings made by joining a company with lower rates will nearly always be more than any rebate you get.
Community Veteran

........and how does EON compare to your supplier on unit rates?  The last time I checked they were very competitive. I may have another look in a week or so.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
A Number of adverts in the press offer to check your current energy supplier against the cheapest supplier thus saving you money.
Two questions.........Are these sites a  con and do they get commission for anyone signing up via their site ?

Not a con as the major ones have approval from the Consumer Focus but yes they do get a payment when one signs up through them.
A list of approved price comparison sites can be found here.
http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/get-advice/energy/confidence-code-2
If you are concerned why not try Which?'s website. that way you will be assured independence (though they too probably get a payment).
http://www.which.co.uk/switch/
smiffyb36
Grafter

Prices vary from area to area so comparison cross area is pointless for elec at least, prices change in each area along the lines of the old electricty boards (eg MEB, YEB) due to different companies having different responsibilities in each area.
Can't remember my gas rates as im not home right now, will check and post later if I get chance  Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

Just had a letter from E'On saying that my current fixed price deal ends on 1st December so time to look around.
One thing that does annoy me is that unit prices are always obvious - they say that they'll save one money but I like to look at the actual cost.
idlewis
Grafter

Can I advise  people to look at Utility Warehouse for saving money on Energy.  They say that they lower than the six main energy suppliers as they do not do advertising.  They also do mobiles and home phones.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unless you're going to the hassle of changing your utility supplier very regularly, I'm not too sure very much is achieved. Was it not in the last few days that Scottish (er! gas I think ) having trumpeted how much cheaper than the competition they were, have suddenly increased their prices, making them among the most expensive.
I don't think they are unique in this respect.
I think I'll grin and bear British Gas.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
idlewis
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Unless you're going to the hassle of changing your utility supplier very regularly, I'm not too sure very much is achieved. Was it not in the last few days that Scottish (er! gas I think ) having trumpeted how much cheaper than the competition they were, have suddenly increased their prices, making them among the most expensive.
I don't think they are unique in this respect.
I think I'll grin and bear British Gas.

Utility Warehouse has the lower prices all the time.  Have a look at the website plus there is no contract so if you not happy you can go back to British Gas.