Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Saving Lightbulbs, LEDs etc.....

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Energy Saving Lightbulbs, LEDs etc.....

We have now replaced all our household Incandescent lightbulbs with Energy Saving Lightbulbs, mostly  LEDs but also some CFLs, with a couple of exceptions.

Over the last year, LED bulb technology has improved with new brighter LED bulbs, so we have gradually been replacing most of our light bulbs with High Efficiency LED versions.

Apart from one main exception, that is we still use 50w Halogen GU10 reflector bulbs in the bathrooms, because of higher output, and also the slight downwards heat from each bulb, just takes away any chill.

We tried 35w and LED versions, just not good enough at the moment.

One thing we have noticed, we tend to leave the LED lights on for longer periods, not as dark now inside especially daytime in these Winter months.

And there is the bonus of not having to replace light bulbs as often.

So, how do you find the new LED bulbs, are you converted yet ?

We did find some dud makes, but now we appear to have long life ones with a nil failure rate.

And the bright illumination does seem to increase the mood, for the better.

As we travel around our locale, many households though still use incandescent bulbs in abundance.

COB (Chip on Board) personal headlights are a nice innovation, though lacking the power of normal LED headlights, more of a flood beam, ok for around the house, but quite poor outside, at the moment.

18 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Energy Saving Lightbulbs, LEDs etc.....

When I have used up my stock of CFL's and current bulbs have burned themselves out, I'll buy a couple of LED's.

There's little difference in energy consumption, anyway.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Yes, I love LEDs - the technology has certainly improved a lot. 

Four years ago I replaced everything with CFLs, and I'd like to do the same now with LEDs, but funds don't permit a wholesale conversion, but it's 25 percent LED at present.

All are 2700° or 3000°K warm white, except the lounge reading light at 5000°K.

Not young enough to know everything
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm a slow starter, so only have 2 LEDs in the wall lights behind our bed. I'm looking to replace the hall and landing too.

We have a 5 and a 3 lamper in the lounge, which takes 40W ordinary golf balls. Despite using rough trade varsions, they are prone to fail. Thy're on the list once suitable dimmers can be sourced.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I feel it's about the right time for people to start moving over to led lamps. I've found the philips range (GU10) (GLS) to be the best we have bought thus far with COB 3W 24v leds for the kitchen cabinets being one of our best investments to date being COB as mentioned already above.

We also have some wall lamps (philips) that dimm very nice as well, be carefull to get a dimmer that will fire bulbs from 0 watt should you wish to use a single lamp on a dimmer circuit. as for reading lamps 2 watt is all we need at 2700-3000k.

Yes some arn't as bright as you might expect or want, but you soon get used to them. Another tip I have found is to waggle your finger from side to side quickly infront of the lamp if you can before you buy if your out and about shopping etc, if you get a flicker... RUN as fast as you can away from them.

4000k for us at least is by far too bright, although very usefull for when painting should you make that mistake!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes I am just using LED's when my bulbs fail. I think I am only down to a few left which aren't LED's.

Sign of the times, and given the time of year so I hope it is not too off topic Smiley

Christmas tree lights, all LED now. I remember as a kid my dad bought some, which ran off the mains, no PSU or anything. They looked nice, but often you'd smell plastic burning. So we switched them off - that model had a fault where one of them would overheat and the plastic holding would melt into the bulb. You couldn't just remove it, so my dad used a hacksaw to cut the plastic off and put another one in.

Dodgy when you think about it now - hmm, No I don't think there were at all a fire risk Roll eyes

Fixes: 47

My whole house is LED lit now apart from one bedroom where I'm changing the fitting so not sure what type it will be yet.

I'm very pleased with them.

My Christmas tree, when it goes up is a fibre optic type with one halogen bulb in the base under the rotating multi-coloured disc.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I don't think I have any halogen's left now. Been replacing 50W GU10's with 5W leds. I actually think the leds are brighter! (and no I don't bother with dimmers, I had dimmers on the halogens but they were rarely used)
Bathroom is all led, one GU10 and the rest are the 60mm spotlight types. Apart from the "shaver" light over the sink it is a cfl tube type. (Was in it when I bought it several years ago, along with the normal 40W one.)
The kitchen has 2*3W leds in the cooker hood, and 3*5W in the overhead light, along with 2*3W in the Ikea under counter light.
Community Veteran

The majority of the lights in this house are LED, aside from a couple of lamps, the bathroom light (4100k Philips CFL) and the cooker hood, but I've been buying the LED bulbs from Poundland (obviously, £1 each!), and so far they have done excellently for something so cheap, the only gripe is the colour temperatures are too yellow for me, but, they have started selling 3000k bulbs which despite such a small change are a lot whiter and a lot nicer to my eyes, so I'll be getting a few more of those... Smiley

I've also been changing my uncle's lighting, replacing GU10 halogen spots for LED alternatives, in his kitchen I replaced the GU10 for an LED tube in a converted fluoro fitting, the bathroom I fitted a basic glass fitting in place of another GU10 energy sucker, and on his landing I swapped the GU10 bulbs for LED GU10s (also Poundland sourced), and so far it all looks good... Smiley

It's funny to think back to when utility companies were giving away packs of free CFLs to save energy (think I still have a couple from Gritish Bas in a drawer somewhere), and now we're scrapping the CFLs to save energy, what's next on the energy-saving lights scene I wonder?

Community Veteran

My local council, and don't get me started on that one.

Put a notice up saying they are going to turn off the street lights off at night as an (massive inverted commas) "experiment". I think they used the old excuse of helping to save the planet, as opposed to errr ... saving money?

There is me thinking things like "Well what do I pay my council tax for?", and "If I'm in an area with no lighting, can I claim a reduction?".

In the end, they replaced the street lights with LED ones - fine.

As long as the council save money and the streets are lit.

Community Veteran

@2cv whats next - CANDLE'S! Get rid of all the costly powered stuff and go back to wax. ;-)
Community Veteran

Candles? Ooh, we can't have those, they'll put out too much CO2 and particulates and toxic waste that kills a made-up claimed 20,000 people a year... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Adair Towers was built in 1805. Strange to think it would have been candle lit as it was before gas lighting and probably well over 100 years before electric lighting was installed in our house.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I remember "mains" electricity being brought into our village, that was mid to late 60's. Before that we had a water wheel driven generator and submarine batteries supplying the power (from what I remember I was very young at the time, and everyone I knew from that period is dead.)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is it Murphy's Law that when a bulb (LED or other) blows it is always the most inaccessible bulb in the house?  We have one that needs a platform, built from two  3m ladder sections and a short scaffold plank, to enable changing the bulb.

I often look at the houses on Grand Designs and see light fittings on a soaring ceiling, I think those going to be a [-Censored-] to reach when the bulb fails.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.