cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Ratings

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Energy Ratings

Most White Goods such as fridges, washing machines etc come with an energy rating from G to A, there is even A+  or A++ but are these energy ratings a con ?
I ask because we had an old tumble dryer (at least 10 years old) that took 30 minutes to dry even thick damp towels. After it ceased to work we purchased a well known make of Tumble Dryer which had either an 'A or B' rating but it's nowhere near as good as the old one, the same amount of clothes take at least 45 minutes, come out cold and feel a little damp. I Suspect the last few minutes of the drying time might be cold air blowing on the clothes.
So back to the question are these energy rating a big con or am I missing something here ?
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Energy Ratings

Don't get me started on these - I had a bit of an argument with the organisation who assigns these ratings to appliances.
It started off with the definition of "usable area" in an oven - it turns out that "usable area" isn't actually the space that can be actually used in an oven.
Then I progressed to asking if the energy ratings of vented tumble dryers took into account the fact that they suck already heated air from inside a property then vent it to the outside while the new colder air that gets sucked into the property then has to be heated whereas with the condensing dryers, all heat generated could be used to heat the house. In the summer, most people hang their washing outside so in theory a condensing dryer could be classed as 100% efficient .........
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool  We suspect our A++ washing machine is only A++ if you use it on the super-extra economy light soiled three hour programme, at 15C with no spin. So basically, take your washing down to the river and beat it on a stone, in the rain.
As for those House Energy Ratings [ which you gotta have for selling ]  the assesement is based on current building regulations which are subject to the latest thinking on energy efficiency. By thinking, that's government/EU directives. You might lose points because you don't have a solar panel, not enough solar panels or, you live in a ground floor flat... or even your solar panels are upside down. Go figure? It's all indicitive.
Anyway, 99.9% of people don't look at the energy rating. They look at the PRICE.
So is it a con? More like another money waisting Quango.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 123

Isn't any energy saving more likely to be based on how the appliance is used rather than any particular rating?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

We've just had a air source heat pump fitted and got a free energy check - it basically was rubbish. 3 recommendations, one to fit a hot water tank thermostat, we have one, another under floor heating. Well I'm not ripping up solid floors to fit it, and the third was some sort of special solar panels - no thanks I won't have on my house any way they said it would save us £124 pa - so that will only take me 112 years break even then.
Community Veteran

A recent ad for a Samsung washing machine:
Star Rating
Community Veteran

Somehow it just doesn't add up for me as you have to use energy to save it.
Sounds no better than spending money to save money.
I'd rather just switch things off.
My fridge freezer must be A++++ at the moment as I've turned off the freezer half.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
Isn't any energy saving more likely to be based on how the appliance is used rather than any particular rating?

Of course you can save energy by switching things off but if you're going to leave them off permanently then you could save even more by not buying the appliance in the first place.
Some examples are a lot clearer than others - a 5W LED lightbulb (A or A+ rated) will provide similar light to a 40W or 60W incandescent bulb, if you use the light the same amount you'll save energy.
Higher efficiency washing machines or driers often do take longer to wash or dry but still use less energy in doing so.
Fridges and freezers are normally left turned on 24/7 so more efficient ones will usually cost less to run (though mis-use like leaving the door open will obviously negate your savings)
Quote from: billnotben
I'd rather just switch things off.
My fridge freezer must be A++++ at the moment as I've turned off the freezer half.

If I did that it'd save energy but cost me a lot more in spoiled food.
I really do wonder though, why my 'efficient' fridge has an inefficient incandescent lightbulb (which is just about capable of warming my meat pies up if the door gets left ajar!).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 77

<snip>
(which is just about capable of warming my meat pies up if the door gets left ajar!).

That wouldn't happen to be my Steak & Ale pies you are currently storing for me, is it ??  Cheesy Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ah.... well... you see.. they got warm... so I had to eat them.  Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TORPC
Grafter

What all 20 of them ?Huh
Well better than them going to waste I suppose
I hope your not feeling too bloated Roll eyes Cheesy
Or
was you practicing for the village Pie eating contest again ?? Cheesy
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
Anyway, 99.9% of people don't look at the energy rating. They look at the PRICE

Not so sure about that - everyone on here appears to be aware of the energy ratings so it would appear it was a consideration.  Last time I bought white goods, they had to have the highest rating or they didn't make the short list.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 77
Of course you can save energy by switching things off but if you're going to leave them off permanently then you could save even more by not buying the appliance in the first place.

Circumstances often change regarding money.
In a money deficient state, spending money to save money makes no economic sense. Far better to "mothball" certain items or use them less.
And no one has yet discovered a working crystal ball.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben

<snip>
And no one has yet discovered a working crystal ball.

Those that have are keeping it a closely regarded secret Wink Roll eyes