cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Prices

Fixes: 47

Energy Prices

Just downloaded my 6 monthly statement from Npower.
They have kindly informed me my new monthly direct debit will be £131.
For reference in February I was paying £60/month
In March it went up to £82/month after a review.
I know what's caused this, apart from wholesale fuel price increases, it's the bad winter of 2012/2013 which has skewed the average for me.
I went on uSwitch and the best deals were a couple of different Npower deals saving me about £20 over the year assuming no change in prices or my usage.
I can guarantee my energy usage is going down in the next 12 months!!
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
31 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Energy Prices

yeah dreading what mine's going to go up to.. my cheap deal ran out so prices went up almost 30% the new cheapest Sad
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I'm with Eon on their Age UK tariff.  They have just informed me my charge will be going up to £99. Sad
Fixes: 125

I'm with BG and my total DD's have been £130 since early this year Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I haven't the 'energy' to check!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Never quite understood, ...... why... would anyone say to a company....  "Hey.... I got money in my bank... you can have whatever you think you need , and let me have what`s left over as credit on my next bill"
They must love each and everyone of you.... and ... you hate them by just the same amount !.... Roll eyes
ME?   I pay my bills "on demand".... when they tell me I have used.....XXX units... and the bill is XXX pounds...   the rest (  in MY account ) is MY money... to do with as I please...  Cheesy
They make enough profit without using the interest on MY money to increase THEIR profitability.....
(OK.. so interest rates are low for savers..). but for BIG BUSINESSES... the amount of money (YOUR MONEY) they have sloshing around in their accounts is MAKING THEM MORE money... and really it is YOUR money.... and YOU should have it in YOUR bank...

Fixes: 125

On the other hand it does mean I know exactly how much will be taken out each month and on a very low, fixed, budget that is very important to me right now.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I would never pay for energy by DD.
You either end up underpaying for months then having to catch up, or being gouged for months on end and the supplier owing you.
We've been on prepayment meters since we brought our current property about 10 years ago (not through choice, at the time I hasten to add) and we're with one of the few, if not the only supplier that charges the same rate for prepayment customers as on demand.
That way we know exactly what we're using, while we're using it and never get any surprises and that's the way I like it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have a pre paid meter also with Npower, so this could be why my electric cost went up in the last month, nice of them to tell me.  Up until a month ago I averaged £40-45 a month and now currently with the same energy used its nearer £60+.  Already I only use what I need to, as I went out of my way to reduce it by cooking less and having cold dinners more often/only having full loads of washing going, so stuck with it unless I can find cheaper supplier
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
kmilburn
Grafter

I'm on DD, however I only pay for what I use each month as I submit meter readings every month, and I'm on a variable payment tariff.
The only downside for people with limited budgets is the difference between the £25 I paid this month verses the (approximate) £100 I'll pay each month over winter.
peter10
Grafter

I pay by Monthly Direct Debit. Last year I overpaid by £40 on a total annual bill of £550 (both gas and electric) . The tariff was 10% cheaper than paying quarterly on demand. They may have some of my money in their account especially in summer but at the present interest rate on savings I reckon that I am better off paying 10% less for the fuel than getting 3% in savings. It is also a lot easier to budget and I submit readings every month.
I change suppliers regularly to get the best deal as like most companies, the price goes up when your contract runs out and the better deals are often for new customers only.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Salmo
I pay by Monthly Direct Debit.

Same here, Although I agree with @shutter's sentiments Undecided, paying by DD does give a discount. Only other DD I pay is to PlusNet for the same reason
Community Veteran

I also use DD for my utilities.  I find it much more convenient.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: kmilburn
The only downside for people with limited budgets is the difference between the £25 I paid this month verses the (approximate) £100 I'll pay each month over winter.

But you do have 2 months in the winter period when you do not pay Council Tax, which coincide with the 2 most expensive bills.
nadger
Rising Star

I'm also on E.On Age UK tariff with fixed price until next June.
Currently was a lot in credit so only taking £60 a month ( gas & electric) but that will increase soon.

Expecting around £100 per month.