Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Prices are too low for the low carbon economy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Energy Prices are too low for the low carbon economy

Don't take my word for it.
This is from the minutes of an official government committee https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/66751/6993-sag-meeting-min...
  Energy Efficiency Strategy 
John Sartin (DECC) began by explaining the Energy Efficiency Deployment Office’s (EEDO) high level objectives:
•  To develop a national energy efficiency strategy (by the end of 2012).
•  To be the centre of government expertise on energy efficiency.
•  To support and challenge the development and delivery of major energy efficiency programmes across Government, ensuring a joined up “offer” to the consumer. His presentation also included an overview of the effectiveness of current energy efficiency policies and projected impact of energy efficiency policy from 2010-2030. 

SAG Comments   
John Shepherd pointed out that whilst energy efficiency policies are required, they risk being ineffective while energy prices are low. Other SAG members observed that incentives such as a substantial price on carbon were needed to promote innovation and reducing carbon intensity, and it was vital to avoid carbon lock-in. A cost/potential  curve (like the McKinsey curve for the abatement of GHG emissions) would be a useful guide.
The potential of innovative controls (e.g. the NEST thermostat) was discussed. EEDO is considering how to study the potential of such heating controls, so that they might be included in policy (see also next item). The crucial role of solid-wall insulation and the continuing need for better technology and products was noted. Once again, stronger incentives (especially for deployment by landlords and facility managers) are needed.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Energy Prices are too low for the low carbon economy

We are in a very dodgy situation regarding future energy needs, it has been suggested that blackouts might even occur in the near future as a result of lack of forward planning.
The Government are likely to agree to almost any guaranteed sum of money to those companies (at the moment just one company) to build nuclear power stations which will certainly see our energy bills rise
Community Veteran

Ideally to survive future rises I'll need a house like the one in "When the Boat comes in" where they dug a coal mine in their own living room.
Add to that a well in the garden and I might just have a few coppers left over for a bowl of gruel.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Who invented this Quango?

John Sartin (DECC) began by explaining the Energy Efficiency Deployment Office’s (EEDO) high level objectives:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No idea but I bet they get a lot of money for being at the top of it  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: shutter
Who invented this Quango?

And who was it referred to "A Bonfire of the quangos " ?
jim:green Quote fixed mod:end
tinto
Grafter

I think it was the same guy who first said "We're all in this together."
jim:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Oh you mean that guy who meant "We're all in this together.. some of us to get rich at your expense and the rest of you to get poorer and continue paying for it"
That bloke?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!