Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Costs and Smart Meters

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Energy Costs and Smart Meters

@TeeGee 

You won't find cheaper than this. They are in cahoots I think with Orsted who own one of the North Sea wind farms. Have a look at the reviews, they are all good and I've been with them for a while with no complaints. My monthly outgoing fell by around 27% when I changed.

https://www.outfoxthemarket.co.uk/

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

I use the Green Energy Network and have done so for some time now. They have a Customer website that gives you all of the details about your account, bills and usage and you can submit reading as often as you want. I do it fortnightly.

I'm not saying they are the cheapest provider on the market but I'd rather pay a bit extra for the niceties and quality customer service.

Due to my location and the lack of signal here it's unlikely that I'll get pushed for a smart meter and come to think of it I've had no bumph or requests to get one installed.

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 147

Scottish(Spanish!) power hassled me a few years ago about installing a Smart meter. Sent me a letter stating they were in the area installing Smart meters and I should make an appointment. If I didn't, they would call in when in the area and fit one. I told them, in no uncertain way, that I did not want a Smart meter and should their representative call without an appointment he/she would be refused entry!. They replied to say, they weren't in my area and they 'noted' my not wishing to have a Smart meter. I think they were just trying to get their numbers up to meet government targets.

I've since moved to So Energy and Smart meters have never been mentioned. I'm sure only the 'big' suppliers are being pushed to up the number of Smart meters.

Highlighted
All Star

@Mayfly wrote:

....I only changed because we are all electric with an air source heat pump and Bulb put their prices up in April. My new energy company is 2p a unit cheaper and over a year that's a few hundred quid. 

At one time, (and it may still be) it was cheaper to have two suppliers (one for gas and one fer electric), but it can be a challenge and take time.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Don't get me started on gas, the main gas pipeline runs 2 miles outside our village but the village isn't connected. A bone of contention for me for as North sea gas is a national asset but not everyone benefits. 

Must say the air source heat pump is good and considering at one time we were paying £800+ every 12mths for domestic heating oil not as expensive as I thought it would be. 

@Mook Green Energy is who I've moved to. 

Highlighted
All Star

@nozzer  https://www.outfoxthemarket.co.uk/

I just did a comparison with them on my actual usage last year and the quote was not too bad but confusing as I like to fix the price for at least 12 months and the only option offered was variable. My real problem is their quote was for the same, One Green Flex, but different options (see image). 

Having just read it again in more detail, I see that one is standard and one is plus and the plus is less!

Does the variable price change during the term and if so, how much and which way?

Same deal, same tariffs  but different prices.Same deal, same tariffs but different prices.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Mayfly wrote:

Must say the air source heat pump is good and considering at one time we were paying £800+ every 12mths for domestic heating oil not as expensive as I thought it would be. 

@Mayfly 

That sounds impressive. I might do some research into them as a quick Google search seems to indicate that government subsidies are available for their installation.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter wrote:

@Anonymous As you are not a moderator, I can only assume that you are baiting... which is also against the rules,    another could be Trolling... just to cause annoyance to other users. 

As far as I’m aware, @shutter, *you* are not a moderator, in which case according to your logic your public criticism of me must be ‘baiting’ or ‘trolling’, mustn’t it? 

*edit: just to confirm that as advised by you @shutter , I have now reported @198kHz’s post to the moderators. Happier now?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

@Anonymous  Agreed,...but,. you see,  Taking the action that I advised, in a previous post, that if you did not like the content of a post or thread, then you should have clicked on "Report to Moderator".

There was no need for you to make the post at all...  and would not, therefore, have had the response to it, that you seem to object to.

However. I doubt if this will stop you from further similar posts, when the mood takes you.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not for you to tell me what to do @shutter.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

@Anonymous   Ah  .... I see.... then,.....  so,  it`s o.k. for you to tell others what to do............ or,,, not to do, by quoting forum rules, which you seem to ignore, as and when it suits you...  as I pointed out in my post, which was advising you  ( and you did, eventually take that advice) the proper course of action should you not like the content of a post, or thread.

So,... I was not "telling you what to do"... I was advising you... you either take that advice ( which you did, eventually,  with no coercing on my part, )  or you ignore it...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 28

@Leapy wrote:

Does the variable price change during the term and if so, how much and which way?

A variable tariff, as the name implies, can indeed vary. Depending on market conditions, it could be up or down.

There is no 'term' when on a variable tariff. Terms are for fixed price (usually 12 or 18 months) deals.

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

This is a non-question anyway (at least for a few more months).

I'm not letting a bloke into my house who has been in other houses, carrying Covid from place to place.

I definitely don't want one of those meters, but all the larger energy providers tie future installation of smart meters and fixed term tariffs together.

Bear in mind that the installation is supposed to require a couple of hours with the power off - so not a mid-Winter job!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Leapy 

Ermmm... I'm on a fixed tariff (Fix'd 20 12.0) so I'm not sure why the quote is for a variable one. If I were you I would use their chat facility to explain what you want. They usually answer very quickly so it's worth doing. It also lóoks to me as though that variable tariff is in the process of changing, hence the two quotes. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 28

The two tariffs will suit different people depending on their usage.

The 2.0 Plus has cheaper unit rates, but considerably higher daily standing charge.

Ω is where the is