cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Costs and Smart Meters

Highlighted
Pro

Energy Costs and Smart Meters

I have recently been harrassed by Scottish Power telling mr I need to have a smart meter to stay on my current tarrif.  I blocked their phone number some time ago but recent emails are annoying me! I have monthly meter readings for the last 25 years so I know precisely how much energy I use.

I decided to make a serious check of my current tarrif and other suppliers and found that it was very close to both Bulb and Octopus two leading independants. It was however more expensive than Avro. Does anyone have any opinions on independant energy suppliers?

We are now all meant to be using "green" electricity but this is still three times more expensive than gas - and the government intends to force gas prices up too. I am as insulated as I can be and all heating, cooking and water is by gas with a small woodburner for midwinter.  I wonder what my neighbours might think about a wind turbine?!

With winter soon to be here again what are the team's plans to keep the costs down?

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Energy Costs and Smart Meters

I’ve used Bulb, Octopus and Yorkshire Energy. Had some problems with Bulb, and wasn’t greatly impressed by their customer service. Both Octopus and Yorkshire Energy have been great.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The situation may well have changed now but some meters were linked to individual companies, so you change supplier and whilst you still have the smart meter the new company has to come and read it.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

2nd generation meters are compatible with a set standard that was finally agreed/ enforced upon the industry. Yes, the 1st gen smart meters become dumb if you change supplier. I was told by a meter manufacturer that they basically only have to change the equivalent of a sim in the meter to make it compatible, but choose to fit another new one.

We used Tonik for a couple of years who were very good, but now use Outfox the Market.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Been with EDF for a few years now... no smart meter... they did try to "insist" that they "had" to fit one...and that it would "save me time and trouble reading the meter".... when I pointed out that I am a smart person who CAN read a meter.. and that the meter is only 3 feet away from my laptop.. and I read it on the 18th day of every month and can input my meter readings to them via their customer portal ... they seem to have shut up and accepted it  ! ! ..

haven`t had any problems...

( They do notify me every year at the end of the year contract, how much I have used/spent and what my next tarriff will be... so I go on the usual compare it websites.... and i find that it will possibly save me less than a pound a month if I swap to the cheapest shown... so why bother...

just don`t make so much tea.. Huh . only have a bath every two months,  Shocked  instead of every month... and that covers that increase  ! ! ! ...Cheesy

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 3

@TeeGee I've been with Avro for years, and they are OK and great VFM.

My current fixed tariff (ending in late Feb 21) is Simple and SuperFlow.

However, if Avro have a better tariff, I will get them to switch me to it before Feb 21 on a new 12 or 18-month fixed contract, and they do it at no cost, so you can chase the market with them as prices drop 🙂

Wood burners are cool, shame about the ash.

Local wind-turbines can be noisy and rock and swing in strong winds. The corkscrew type are less noisy, but much more inefficient. 

Highlighted
All Star

@shutter In the winter, a lady near me used to fill a stone hot water bottle with cocoa, Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

All for renewable engergy, but not from the grid. 

Home based better and solar panels are getting cheaper to buy and install - especially if you can do that yourself as it really cannot be that difficult. Looked at wind power but where we are is far to low down the valley for it to work efficiantly to any degree.

Had a smart meter but our new provider cannot supply us with one that would work with their system. What's all that about?

Wood burner for all of our 'house heating' through the winter months helped in no small part by a well insulated roof, a well insulated loft, insulated floor and to top it all, a terraced cottage kept warn courtesy of neighbours each side.... oh, and our annual winter fuel allowance,

Snug as a bug in the proverbial. 😊 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 25

@TeeGee 

Aye, I know what you mean. I've got years of manual, and more recently spreadsheet records of energy used, with monthly readings.

I was with Bulb for a couple of years, who were fine until at the beginning of the year their gas price became very uncompetitive.and they never seemed sure how many decimal places they were using for unit rates, so my spreadsheet never quite matched. Switched to So Energy, who have been great in every respect. Fast responses on email, phone or Live Chat, and clear accurate bills. And they've never mentioned 'smart' meters.  😊

There's a £40 credit for me and you if anyone wants a referral link.

There’s no plaice like Ω
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@TeeGee I'm with YE at the moment BUT (and it is a big but) It depends on what is best price you can get for your area. People have recommended Octopus etc but on checking they turn out to be far more expensive in my part of the UK - hence why I'm with YE. Cheapest for me.

But every year I go check for the best deal for the next 12 months (or less). As long as the bills are accessible and produced on time (I supply a reading every 4 weeks) and YE have been very good, I don't think it really matters too much who you go with. Why? Round here (and I'd imagine all over), you phone up a centralised number to report electricity faults. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@198kHz wrote:

If only that weren’t against the forum rules, eh? 

• Advertising and promotion for personal gain or business use will not be tolerated. Posts are determined to be in this manner by the moderators.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

They're not really smart, I believe they have a mobile SIM installed in them so they can transfer readings back to your supplier. So it saves them the labour of having to employ someone to visit your property.

Does their cost saving get passed onto you? Of course not, I hate it when companies claim it is to help save the planet. But weakly attempt to pull the wool over your eyes.

Made me laugh when Thames Water forced me to have a water meter. One of the letters said something like 'Water is a scarce resource'. They paid (well I do) a marketing company to write that? They must have had some long lunches down the pub I suspect.

You don't exactly need a geography degree to know that isn't the case. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

Round here (and I'd imagine all over), you phone up a centralised number to report electricity faults. 

Yep, 105, round these parts that goes to Northern Powergrid, not necessary though as you can always just send a tweet to them which they'll take note of...

As for the issue of costs, it is daft that no matter who you pay for electricity, gas, water, phone, internet, etc., it's the same stuff that is supplied through the wires & pipes, seems utterly ridiculous to have such wide variation for the same product, too mush profiteering going on with what are supposed to "essential utilities" in the 21st century...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous wrote:

@198kHz wrote:

If only that weren’t against the forum rules, eh? 

• Advertising and promotion for personal gain or business use will not be tolerated. Posts are determined to be in this manner by the moderators.

Note the "bold" type.... just in case you missed it in your  rush to condemn others...

As mentioned in other posts....   if you don`t like the content...then you click on "Report to Moderator"...

As you are not a moderator, I can only assume that you are baiting... which is also against the rules,    another could be Trolling... just to cause annoyance to other users. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I've just very, very reluctantly moved from Bulb. I found their customer service excellent. I love their monthly readings and the ease with which you can change the DD amount and date of payment. Many companies could learn from them!

I only changed because we are all electric with an air source heat pump and Bulb put their prices up in April. My new energy company is 2p a unit cheaper and over a year that's a few hundred quid.