cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Cost Forecast

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Energy Cost Forecast

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/8713691/Green-tax-hike-hits-businesses.html
Figures from Utilyx, the energy consultants and traders, forecast a 58pc rise in the cost of power by 2020, largely driven by the impending avalanche of green taxes due to come into force over the next 10 years.
The consultants estimate that 18pc of the current electricity price relates to climate change policies – or £15 per megawatt-hour out of a £82 per megawatt-hour average.
However, green taxes and new infrastructure costs will constitute 38pc of the charges, or £50 per megawatt-hour out of £130 per mega-watt hour, by 2020.
How about this for a vision of the future
An interesting parabola awaits. I was born into a world where central heating was an extraordinary luxury...have lived to see it become a "necessity" and by the time I die...it may well be a luxury again.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Energy Cost Forecast

Let's hope for the sake of British industry that imports are subject to an energy tax as if they were produced in the UK.  I can see the point of renewable energy tax support, but not if it puts our manufacturers at a disadvantage.
In the longer term it will teach us to be more energy efficient, which should put us in good stead for manufacturing methods when energy itself (rather than tax) becomes much more expensive.
We still have a long way to go. Each night when I walk the dog I can see the Canary Wharf towers in London dockland. They are ablaze with office lights throughout the night. A very poor example to the rest of us.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I am a pensioner with all electric heating - so are they going to increase the pension to compensate me - pigs will fly first - and this is 58% on top of any increase in actual costs
Community Veteran

Ah the joy of racing pieces of ice on the inside of your bedroom window just before you get ready for school in the morning. Sadly my brothers were better at this than me.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

That was always the incentive to get hands and face washed and run downstairs to the glow of the Yorkshire Range. Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Who decide of these green taxes? Surely it's the voters, so are we keep voting in governments that keep adding green taxes?
Community Veteran

I'm all for re - nationalising the Utility companies, cut out the competition, advertising, overseas shareholders, profits, directors bonuses. (Do a Zimbabwe direct nationalisation will sort out the governments deficit.)
I'm sure Electricity and Gas were cheaper (as a percentage of household income) when they were state owned, admittedly they were probably more inefficient, but at least they created employment in the way of apprenticeships.