Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of an era.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

End of an era.

I found this online tonight:
http://www.old-dalby.com/BR%20Residuary.htm
It seems that British Rail (Now known as British Railways Board Residuary Ltd) is now facing the chop as a 'quango'. The article is dated 2010 and they do still exist at present but it seems that David Clegg has still got old tory feelings at heart.
It's a shame.. BR were legendary and I have many fond memories of them from my younger years. They stopped carrying passengers but continued doing other things that few people knew about. Now despite all their pioneering work it seems they're going to finally close down soon.
So to put this into context:
We've lost / loosing BR (and railway costs have shot up due to so many companies / contractors being involved now)
We've lost our aircraft carriers
We've lost the harriers (and sold them as cheap as chips to be sure they can't be saved)
Concorde flew away too although that was technically down to BA..
Eurostar is under threat (they've sold their only station to HiSpeed1 and now with the 'competition' laws the germans want to run a service there)
The hovercraft are gone
Bombardier are under severe threat
and the government want manufacturing and the private sector to rebuild the economy? - Manufacture what exactly? and for what industry?
Do we have anything left to marvel at and inspire people (especially the young) any more?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
48 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: End of an era.

Not sure how this would work though. BRBR still owns all the defunct bridges (amongst other things) that litter the roads from old closed lines, around 4000 in number. I can't imaging the Government taking on their ownership unless it creates something to own them, ie another quango!
http://www.brbr.co.uk/structures
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Sprite
Do we have anything left to marvel at and inspire people (especially the young) any more?

Alan Michael Sugar?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Don't forget all those banks we still own - although we gave "the good bits" of one away only recently.

Community Veteran

Some small parts of the rail network are kept going by volunteers using the old steam trains.
The way things are going these might be the only networks available in the future !
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: Sprite

Alan Michael Sugar?

Lol... erm... No!
He reminds me of what is so wrong with this country today. Everyone hating each other, shouting at each other and making life miserable for the average UK employee. I'd hate to work for him and I could never see the miserable old money obsessed s*d as any sort of icon.
@nozzer, yes they also own a lot of viaducts (which they've been trying to dismantle though many are now grade 2 listed) and tunnels. They've sold off most of the stations, signal boxes and strips of former railway lines. It certainly seems weird though the thought of shutting them down completely - who will maintain their tunnels and bridges? Many folk wouldn't even worry about it yet a lot of disused tunnels still run under peoples homes, neighbourhoods etc so they need maintaining to stop any collapse. Somehow I can't see transferring this responsibility to the DfT saving any money at all. I don't see Network Rail being keen to get involved either - they're about to be prosecuted for the deaths of two girls on a crossing and then the virgin train crash I expect so I'd hardly see them in a position to want to take on dormant railway structure maintenance. Network Rail seem to be about doing as little as possible about the railways.. at least BR were visionary people before westminster decided to screw them over.
I can certainly think of other quangos that should be abolished such as the UK Border agency. Why on earth do they even exist when they just let anyone in without doing their checks properly? Highways departments that prefer to shuffle paperwork instead of fixing roads and council 'consultants' who cost £mega just to tell councils common sense things they should already know to name a few.
@gleneagles: Yes they're called heritage lines and they're growing in popularity (albeit very slowly). The problem with them is they have limited funds so can't run a proper public service every day of the year and yes at the rate our current mainline railways are being attacked they'll probably be all thats left in a few years. What gets me is that Dr Beeching years ago shut down many of our railways (about 2/3) and sold the metal work of as scrap etc. In france they have to build a legal case to rip up a disused railway otherwise they leave it there for reasons of "strategic national importance". Now.. why did the UK government nationalise all of the railways in the last century only to close them down a while later? - They should of left the profitable ones in private hands and supported the struggling lines. We'd be in a much better position for it now and thats what they should do now. Stuff helping out the big railway operators with £millions so that they can make their profits, cut their financial support and invest that money in new / former railway routes instead.
@Foxy: Yes they've had their hands in destroying our railways... they OWN a lot of the countrys rolling stock which is then leased to the railway operators.
For the country that invented the train and exported it world wide, I can't believe that the UK is doing so much to destroy our engineering industries.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nozzer
I can't imaging the Government taking on their ownership unless it creates something to own them, ie another quango!

"Many of the assets that BRB (Residuary) Ltd holds carry indefinite statutory responsibilities. On the winding up BRB (Residuary) Ltd these and any other remaining assets will transfer to the direct control of the Department for Transport."
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2010-11-22b.21809.h
Community Veteran

I know Old Dalby and the area well. Back in 1984 they did this:

; Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and who would handle this news just released  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-15886610
Network Rail is to be prosecuted over the deaths of two girls at a level crossing in Essex almost six years ago.
Community Veteran

It's like that train crash at Greystoke in Cumbria where one elderly woman was killed and a number injured after the train came off the rails.
A Detailed enquiry confirmed it was down to a lack of maintenance & the manager responsible for that area was able to prove that funding was being continually reduced but the same level of inspection was being expected.
Makes you wonder where health & safety fit into the picture ? This was a preventable accident, sadly we are likely to see more preventable accidents in the future due reduced funding.
Community Veteran

BR were also responsible for many pioneering things such as the APT-E (turbine powered) which led to the ill fated APT-P:
APT-E
APT-P

Both of which had a innovative tilting system for the curves (this wasn't popular to start with but was improved on):

Not forgetting of course the legendary logo which is still in use today even though BR no longer operate services:

Plus the legendary Intercity 125:

Could anyone forget the old faithfuls which never needed a heating strip on the 3rd rail (also known as the class 421) many of which lasted 40 years?:

They even managed the reopening of the Snow Hill Tunnel to passenger services after a staggering 72 years which included widening work (note that the station platforms themselves are still disused):

They also played a central role role in this:

But before that BR had this:

Naturally even without the boats, BR still took to the water:

Just in case the rail or water ran out they even had plans for a nuclear powered flying saucer!

Even if that didn't quite take-off as planned, that didn't stop BR getting off the main line way of thinking. They went to town on the issue and started exploring the streets:

Auditioning for the movies or just trying out some garden railwaying? Either way this was a real BR cliffhanger:

Then there is the humble BR ticket which to this day is STILL unchanged despite privatisation and so many operators:

Even when we thought BR had been scrapped there was still some light at the end of the tunnel:

Now sadly it looks like the government has decided to call it time, turn off that light and close the door on BR:

What I don't understand is, BR were forward thinking and most of us have fond memories of them. So why the have the current and last two governments been so keen to destroy them? BR were pretty much self funding years ago yet now the train operators are part funded by the government so SURELY the current system doesn't work and we should be operating our railways in the BR fashion?
Community Veteran

pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont worry they will all end up here http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection.aspx
Videos and lots of photos
Locomotives and rolling stock
Duchess of Hamilton is just one of nearly 300 rail vehicles in the National Collection.
    See 291 items

I believe all the Napier Deltics are now at Shildon
Community Veteran

Quote from: nozzer

For anyone who doesn't know, that is the first steam train to be built from scratch (brand new) in this country since they stopped making them years ago. The plans were found dumped in a skip of all places and because there were none preserved it someone had the idea of building one. Iirc, it took them 19 years and I think £3million but they did it.
Brand new steam trains, tunnels reopening after 72 years... surely there is more life in our railways?
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
dont worry they will all end up here http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection.aspx

The problem is that even railway museums go out of business - thats why the APT-E moved recently in the last few years because its museum went down the pan.
Bring back BRITISH RAIL!