cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of an Era

Community Veteran

End of an Era

Kodak has announced it will be discontinuing the manufacture of its famous Kodachrome film.  I grew up using this film alongside other brands and have seen them disappear one by one.  Progress Huh
tinyurl.com/kwg7gv
40 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: End of an Era

"Progress" No way! Digitale Cameras are not as good as an analog film camera.
Fixes: 105

And how do you arrive at that conclusion?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

To be fair, in some respects Midnight Caller is absolutely correct - dynamic range being one stark example.

Indeed, but still a very sweeping statement...
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

With 35mm there probably not that much difference between digital and film but are larger format camera still film?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: adiewoo
And how do you arrive at that conclusion?

You can do more with film, van you can do with digitale, Digitale Cameras like a good lighting, with analog film cameras you don't!
With 35mm film you can blow the image up to A1 with out losing quality, try doing that with digitale!
Quote from: itsme
are larger format camera still film?

Yes!
itsme
Grafter

Did you watch the Gadget Show, probably last year, when they blew up a photograph of Suzy Perry to a size of a building and the digital print was better. This was not the first time the show had done this, previously the film use to come out better but not any more.
Community Veteran

I think the latest round of digital cameras give the film cameras a run for their money.  I remember seeing the show you mentioned.  Another programme had some professional photographers testing both film and digital and they agreed there was little to choose between them.  Some actually thought digital won the battle.
Fixes: 47

It can certainly get to be a highly charged subject for discussion between the die-hard film supporters v the progressive digital proponents.
I have always supported film in the past as offering higher dynamic range as Be3G says and better rendering of detail.
However IMO advances in sensor design and resolution have largely 'cured' these deficiencies.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

I also think that the majority of point and click compact users wouldn't be able to tell the difference, or probably care for that matter. 
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

And it gives people the excuse to play with HDR photography to get over the dynamic range problem ... which I must do one day ...
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Fixes: 47

Of course, apart from Polaroid the camera is but one link in the chain. It's no good spending a fortune on a top of the range film camera with a high quality lens. Load it with fine grain film. Compose and shoot your subject and then give the film to a fast turn-around processing house who subsequently make a pigs ear of the prints.
Having said that, with digital it can all be done in house now where you can make a pigs ear of the prints all by yourself Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Another advantage with digital cameras is that bad selection of film speed never happen. On a trip to the mountains in Nepal I took 64 ASA transparencies and then found that I was limited when overcast and with the use of telephoto lenses.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Having said that, with digital it can all be done in house now where you can make a pigs ear of the prints all by yourself Wink

Indeed - although a lot of people of course choose to use digital photo printing services which are just as likely to make a pig's ear of the prints as the fast-turnaround analogue film developers. Alas, doing a proper job of producing your own prints at home is a rather difficult affair owing to the need to colour-manage everything... I remember several years ago Epson came out with something called 'Print Image Matching' which was supposed to simplify the process, and if I recall correctly it did actually kind of work... but, unfortunately, it never caught on.
Changing the subject back to dynamic range, it's worth mentioning that there is one camera that deals with the issue unusually well: the Fuji S5 Pro. Fuji are a company who've actually bothered to experiment with sensor design rather than opting for off-the-shelf sensors that most camera manufacturers use. As a result, they have developed a sensor that is more akin to the properties of film, with two different sizes of photosite. I always hoped it'd become more mainstream because it really is a good idea, but of course all the general public care about are megapixels. Sad