Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Season Bargain

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

End of Season Bargain

Thought I'd shop around for an 'end of season bargain' pair of BBQ gloves, y'know the sort that stops that one thousand degree heat from vaporising your hands.

Found what looked like a good deal "heat resistant gloves" on ebay for £4.99 but just before clicking to order, it occured to me that maybe just maybe that price was only for one glove. Surely not, but thought I'd double check by messaging them with what I said was "a stupid question I know but just checking, that is for one pair of gloves?"

Reply back this moring... "Hi the £4.99 price is for just the one glove,hope it can help you"

What the heck, who buys just one glove, single oven mitts or come to that, one sock? Sure the advert said 'each', but that would be each pair and it specifically said gloves plural. Moreover, would they have sent me a left or a right hand one?

Grrr. Knuppel

Maybe a new pair of leather gardening gloves might be a better deal as they would be dual purpose. I mean, it's not as if I'm barbequing every day right... or should that be left. 

Might pop into town later to see if I can buy just one shoe or even half a pair of reading glasses.  

17 REPLIES 17
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

Re: End of Season Bargain

@Minivanman 

Better than gardening gloves, why not buy a pair of welding gloves?

Following that link shows several pairs at around the price you quoted, but if you buy some from Amazon you could always return them if they don't seem suitable.

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Great idea there Rob, thanks. Thumbs Up

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 87

@Minivanman 

To get stuff in and out of an oven this sort of thing is brilliant. You just slip your hands in, much quicker! https://www.next.co.uk/style/st213728#630467

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Baldrick1 

Not very practical for that BBQ, and totally useless for gardening! Wink

Gavin and Stacy 

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 87

I don’t fancy gardening in welding gauntlets either, especially on a hot day.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I just use my "usually doing something outdoors" gloves, they provide enough insulation from being seared like a steak, and they're handy for other things like gardening or working on small engines, and occasionally a handy joke when removing them and they end up in an amusing state... Grin

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiwnQzwgBhA/

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

Maybe a new pair of leather gardening gloves might be a better deal as they would be dual purpose. I mean, it's not as if I'm barbequing every day right... or should that be left. 

Might pop into town later to see if I can buy just one shoe or even half a pair of reading glasses.  

Which is what i use - a big thick pair of leather gardening gloves. I got them from B&Q years ago (don't think they sell them now). Incredibly thick and allows me to pretty much put my hand right above the roaring hot charcoal for several seconds (enough to adjust the metal shelf if not fitted right etc).

While you're looking for half a glass (see what i did there) remember any jeans with holes in them and see if you can buy a trouser to repair them. I can't understand why you're only allowed to buy them in pairs - should be a competition law about that right?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@7up 

Or even better...

original.jpeg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Have to admit I purchased one glove.......

It was a silicon glove....ideal if you need to get something out of hot liquid, for example eggs out of boiling water, so only need for one glove and all other types of gloves mentioned would be useless where hot water or steam was present.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I don’t fancy gardening in welding gauntlets either, especially on a hot day.

I wouldn't want to wear them for general gardening (a rare occurrence for me anyway) but when it comes to dealing with situations where you need to feed your hand to vicious brambles and the like, they offer some added protection to your forearms.

Likewise for burning stuff in an old oil-drum (something which I've done about 3 times recently getting rid of the 'small stuff' from a tree felled a few months ago), you can ram small branches and twigs in without burning hands or forearms even when wearing just a T-shirt on top.

Those were unavoidably quite hot days, chosen because of the wind direction, and it wasn't particularly uncomfortable wearing the gloves although it's easy to slip them off when not needed for a few minutes.

Minesapint
Aspiring Pro

I've got the older equivalent of these

https://www.boconline.co.uk/shop/en/uk/ppe-workwear/hand-protection-%28gloves%29/boc-14-gold-gauntle...

Seem excellent for handling hot things, and I occasionally use them for brambling as well, they seem good for that too.

I even use 'em for welding occasionally!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Got to hand it to you guys, some great ideas here! Wink

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

Got to hand it to you guys, 

You know how we (g)love to help!

vlcsnap-2019-09-11-12h38m11s229.png

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

@Minivanman wrote:

Thought I'd shop around for an 'end of season bargain'

What the heck, who buys just one glove, single oven mitts or come to that, one sock?

Er. ? ? ?   probably you would.... to pair up with those in the other thread you started ......... HuhRoll eyes