cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Newspapers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

End of Newspapers.

Seems the circulation of most newspapers has been in decline for some time due to competition from the internet and television.
Are we likely to see the end of newspapers in the near future (at least in printed form) as there must be a break even point at which it is no longer viable to print them?
An increasing number of papers and magazines are now available online for a small subscription so will these replace the printed version ?
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: End of Newspapers.

I stopped buying newspapers years ago as I get all the info I need on TV and the Internet.......and in this forum Smiley
Lots of newspapers available on my Kindle for a small subscription.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I don't think we will see the end to printed papers, Although I don't buy them any more, You can get everything digitally nowadays and free If you look In the right places, To people who don't have all things digital though the papers may be there only source of Information.
I wish I could still get a Fish supper wrapped up In the daily telegraph though Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The people who do not have digital are rapidly reducing at the same time as the remaining newspapers are increasing in price and advertisers are looking to other forms of communication to advertise their goods.
So the signs are not good for the printed word.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
I stopped buying newspapers years ago as I get all the info I need on TV and the Internet.......and in this forum Smiley

Ditto. The SO still buys the local rag for some odd reason (no idea if they charge for online access as I've not looked) but like many I get most news of the TV and internet. With the likes of yahoo, msn and google offering news it seems pointless to go and buy a paper costing a tree its life.
Who knows.. maybe this is the start of a society which ceases to rely on financial currency.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my local that everyone calls the Brainless and Witless is on line http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/8839802.Car_smashes_into_home_on_danger_road_in_Witham...  as are at lot of other from the same publisher
    * Newsquest Media Group
    * A Gannett Company
    * This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network
    * Newsquest site network
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: Strat

I stopped buying National papers in the 1980's, when the Daily Fail published a lot of lies about Motorcycling. We had a reporter in the family and my wife asked him if he believed what he wrote, his answer "Good Lord, No!"
Fixes: 125

I, too, haven't bought a paper regularly for years.
I must admit, though, when I go to my mum's or get the free one at the airport I do enjoy holding and reading it. I just don't think they're worth buying any more.I don't particularly enjoy reading it on the internet but it is convenient.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

idlewis
Grafter

I think it is wrong that there will be newspapers on the internet instead of on print.  Not every can afford or want to have a computer or laptop especially disabled and the elderly.  I for one will not be persusing this  and the same is true for the vast majority of the country. 
The reason why people are not buying newspapers is because of party political propoganda by the editors of the press as they either support the Tories or Labour and not beng impartial and neutral when they address issues that people are concerned about.

I will say that one of the reasons I stopped buying newspapers was because of the one sided reporting but I will read my local freebie which tries to be non political and just reports local news and issues which is what I and many others are more interested in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Butbutbutbut............  what are you going to wrap your chips inHuhHuhHuh?

Ahhh...those were the days...and I'm sure they tasted better out of newspaper Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Brings back memories of my first car...  sitting with the gf outside the chippy with a bag of soggy chips and pickled onions.  Smiley
And then with a bit of luck and a following wind...........    (no problem with the wind!).