cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End for DSLR's

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

End for DSLR's

If you are not interested in cameras then read no further.

One of the biggest changes in photography was the introduction of digital cameras with many of these being Digital single lens reflex cameras which took over from film type cameras.

In turn the introduction of bridge cameras has seen a steady increase in sales whilst the price of dslr's has dropped considerablly, one main reason being that many people are quite happy with photographs taken on their phone which can be sent on to friends and relatives.

Apart from professional photographers and others who make a living from photography retaining a dslr camera will future users bother purchasing them, which could then reach a point that it would not be financially viable to continue to make them ?

So is this the end for the dslr ?

Do you have one and what do you think ?

14 REPLIES
bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

Re: End for DSLR's

Pros and those who make a living will be just part of the sales. The hobby market is still huge. My uncle is a hobby photographer. He's got some great kit and really enjoys it. Takes some cracking photos too that you just wouldn't get the same quality with a phone, regardless of how good the sensor is because lenses and what not.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I echo that. Definitely not the end of the DSLR. The enthusiast market is huge, especially in the US. 

Fixes: 47

I have a couple of Canon DSLRs but most of my photographs are taken on my phone simply because it is always there when an unexpected photo opportunity arises and the quality is pretty good.

My 750D goes with me on more planned occasions where I can take advantage of the lengthy zoom and filter options.

It does pretty good stills and movies.

When I was a lot younger I went everywhere with a Pentax SLR hung on my shoulder but not these days.

I also think the dedicated DSLR has many years life left in it yet.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

Difficult one to call given that many still use SLR's.

With a typical roll of film giving having 24 exposures and a DSLR having, well thousands, you'd think no contest right? But you'd be wrong as there are still advantages in owning and using one and as one photographer notes, 'simply applying this fixed restriction will make you think twice about everything that’s in the frame rather than rattling off another 100 digital images and declaring somewhat obnoxiously “I’ll fix it in Photoshop later”. You see, getting it right in-camera also provides the added benefit of not having to sift through hundreds of frames to choose the perfect composition'. And that;s just for starters.

Strange thing is two of my daughters love their cameras and both have those ubiquitous mobile phone cameras of course but, they also have a DSLR and an SLR (one of them is my old 35mm Pentax) - so how neat is that.

The 35mm SLR is dead, long live the 35mm SLR.... as long as you can still get the film, and afford to get it developed. Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I agree DSLRs are good, but for some they are not convenient because of bulk and weight. To an extent the bridge cameras share this problem. on the market now are compacts with comparable abilities such as zoom range, of which here is an example.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

I find my phone camera for snapshots, however if I want to take photographs I use my DSLR.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

I don't have a DSLR myself, although just a few weeks ago I was thinking of buying one. I use a bridge camera and take it every time I go off on a fishing trip and what put me off the DSLR was the different lenses rattling around in my fishing box. My bridge camera has a really good zoom if required and goes down to macro, so I'll stick with the bridge camera for now.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I have a bridge camera it is fantastic for quality photos but it is slow for action shots so I bought a dslr - the problem I have with it is the weight, it gets quiet heavy to carry around for a long time especially as I have osteoarthritis of the neck, so unless I want to photograph at an air show for example I always use my bridge.

My phone takes some good photos too and I do use it but as said above only for snaps. I would always take my bridge if my intention was to take photos.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I did own a Canon DSLR, along with a wide angle, telephoto and 17-55mm in place of the standard lens.

Took soom  good photos but lugging that lot across fell tops at my age was gttng a little difficult.

@shutter drew my attention to the FZ range of Panasonic Lumix bridge cameras and I ended up purchasing the FZ1000.

Having used it a number of times in different situations I can honestly say you would be hard pressed to identify which printed photographs at A4 size were taken with which camera.

I have now sold my DSLR along with all the lenses which more than covered the cost of the Lumix

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I own a Pentax K500 DSLR (I've been a dedicated Pentax man since the Pentax Spotmatic and several ME Super's) and still like to set up a photograph using my selection of lenses some of which are Pentax manual lenses and other kit I've had for donkeys years that do work but need a bit of work and a little knowledge of depth of field, focus and f-stops and lighting to have presentable results.

My family visit us from time to time armed with huge portfolios of electronic "snapshots" of beheaded or partially out of shot or fuzzy other family and friends, it being ever so slightly boring wading through shot after shot of essentially identical poor snaps.

I realise the principle is (or at least I think it is) take dozens in the hope one will come out all-right.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

The lens on my Canon 750D is a Canon EF-S 18 - 135mm and it suffices for all my photos.

I would like one with a higher zoom range but they are so expensive.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

'The best camera is the one that's with you' (Chase Jarvis)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0030DL346/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I've a full frame DSLR which I used for gig photography (http://www.throwinghorns.com) but I use my phone camera for everything else.  With Instagram, it's brilliant for capturing memories of holidays, events etc.  I'd never consider using my DSLR for that sort of thing really.  Too bulky and fiddly for "in the moment" stuff.

Fixes: 124

AlaricAdair wrote:

I find my phone camera for snapshots, however if I want to take photographs I use my DSLR.

+1

There are some things that are not easy to adjust on a phone camera - if at all - depth of field for one. I also find composing shots with a phone harder than with an DSLR.

Most of the 'snaps' I have taken with my phones over the years just get put in a folder rarely to see the light of day or even deleted whereas my DSL photos frequently get viewed and used.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still