cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employer wants copy of driving license

jamessealey
Grafter

Employer wants copy of driving license

Couple of quick questions to anyone in the know or with any experience of this in the past.
Basically my employer has previously requested a copy of everyones driving licenses, regardless of whether or not they are a company car driver.
I managed to get out of producing a copy of mine when they started this grand idea, as I firstly think it's an unnecessary document for them to hold, and seondly my license was away with the DVLA having the address changed - which took about 12 weeks!
However, my employers have now turned round and said they are conducting an 'annual review of all driving licenses' - which myself and a few others (again non company car drivers) are a little bit miffed at. I do not do any driving for business purposes, with the exception of my daily commute which is covered by my own insurance policy.
Does anyone know of the legal standings on this? Are we, as employees, required to produce this information, is our employer required to hold it, or is it just a case of each company can do their own thing?
I can fully understand checking licenses belonging to company car drivers, as they are driving a company vehicle on a company insurance policy, however my car is owned by me and my insurance company will have carried out any 'checks' they need to with my license.
Views, opinions, ideas or previous experiences please.
James
38 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Employer wants copy of driving license

The only time I had to produce me license is when work gave me a car to get home in when all the rail routes shut out of London.
Don't think I had to produce one even when I had a company car.
Have you asked for what reason they want it - that might give you a better idea?
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

I been in the same boat a few about 4 years ago with a company that I was employed with. I believe the main reason is the insurance companies require it for driving convictions etc. As the copies where going to be kept  in the normal office area I was not happy  as there is a lot of useful information that can be used for identity fraud. We came to a comprise were my license was inspected but no copy was taken.
Edit: Did not have a company car but did drive the pool cars and other employees company cars.
Community Veteran

I've had to produce mine for insurance purposes on company cars, fair enough.
As said above, ask them why, they need to have a good reason.
If there really is a valid reason to keep a copy (can't see why based on what you've said) they MUST take adequate security, as with any other personal information.
Community Veteran

Just a guess, that you company's car insurance allows all employees to drive company cars. Hence the requirement to have all drivers licenses.
And its easier for the company to manage who can drive a company car if everyone can.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

When I first started (quite a while ago, so may be remembering incorrectly), I had to produce some ID (which they took a copy of) to prove I was eligible to work in the UK (I think).  I used my passport.  Maybe something similar?  Does having a UK driving licence mean you are a UK citizen and hence eligible to work here?  I may be totally on the wrong line! (Some may say as usual!  Tongue)
Phil
Fixes: 47

I don't have a company car but I am on the company's insurance list in case i need to go out in a company vehicle. Hence I was required to supply a photocopy of my license.
No one else on the company is required to produce their license.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I had the same thing with my first company, where some of the employees had company cars (not me though).
Had to show them my license, I assume it was because they put down everyone who can drive on their insurance.
Community Veteran

If you are company car driver and the company will allow your spouse to drive the vehicle your employer's insurance company will need copy of their licence too.
Community Veteran

Also, do you ever travel on business, within the UK or outside and get a rental car? If you do then it maybe you are told not to take the Hertz/Avis, etc insurance as the company has its own policy.
Finally as others have mentioned, just because you do not *have* a company car, it maybe that all employees are insured to drive them if they have a copy of your licence, probably just to make sure you have not been banned from driving!
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

If they insist, use it to your advantage. Tell them you lost your counterpart, make them pay the fee for a new one. And keep it as a spare  Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

PJ a British Driving licence does not mean that you are a British Citizen, any foreign person in the UK for more than I think 6 months has to take a UK driving test
Community Veteran

What does the employer do if an employee doesn't drive or has lost his licence for a driving offence?  I think you need to know why they need this information.
Community Veteran

EU citizens with a driving licence at home don't need to get a British licence for many years r until reaching a certain age - which I forget.
I know as I have Polish friends resident here - and we looked very carefully into it.
"Residents
If you have a valid community licence, this will allow you to drive in GB for the period set out below.Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.
Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:
Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):
    * until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period "
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

Community Veteran

Spanish friends of mine have had the same experience Mal.