cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emotion vs Logic

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Emotion vs Logic

I've been trying on Ebay to purchase an item of equipment for two or three months now. I have a budget and I'm sticking to it, the amount is is low but not unrealistic.
Today I was again outbid by three different ebayers. I don't mind I'll just wait for the next opportunity.
The winning bidder finally paid more than the current purchase new price (which also includes free delivery). I'd love to know if he/she lives locally to the vendor as it was a heavy collection only item. They'd had a bidding war in a few minute before the auction ended.
I'm surprised these people didn't do better research! Anyone else on here to keeps calm during auctions? 
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Emotion vs Logic

Yup !.... I`m with you.... final price is mine.... not someone else shoving it up !... I set myself a limit and then use that as a last 5 second bid.... if it comes up.. great... if not... like you.. there`s always another day..
I did hesitate, recently, on a "buy it now" that had a BIG postage charge.... emailed the seller.... no reply... and the item was "unique" ... and had only been on for a few minutes.. (could have lost it to another buyer, whilst waiting for reply )..... . so I jumped in and "bought it now"... no regrets... it was SOLID BRASS so the high postage charge was relevant... ( he just did not say  ! ! ! )...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yeah i'm a bit of a mixture..
If its an item that comes along frequently i'll set my budget in my heasd and stick to it - bidding in the last few seconds (if i remember lol).
If its something rare / unique then it will probably get a bit more consideration with an increased bid at the last moment.. if I think i'm in with a chance. If theres too much interest then i won't bother.
I do have to wonder though whats with those people who will pay almost new price (sometimes above it) for something thats done its rounds...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

You have to be careful and do your homework first as it's easy to get carried away.
I once let an item go and checked on the price later only to find it was a few pounds more new on Amazon, often it can be worth paying a few pounds more as the item can be returned if purchased from a firm but on ebay it can be a bit more dodgy and conditions on returns are limited to fakes, not as described and a few other things due to it being a private sale.
They say the best time to buy from ebay is midweek as more folk are on at weekends..
Community Veteran

Agree, on price checking against new item... 
I was looking for a satnav... saw a garmin one.. coplete with original box, and bits and bobs. etc... £99.00  buy it now.... ( hadn`t checked prices ).. so bought it....
when I got it.. it certainly looked and felt new... even registered it with garmin.. no problem... but I couldn`t figure out how to get the sat nav signals,.. and some of the instrs on screen seemed to indicate it needed a special lead... so I wrote and returned it. got a refund...
then bought the same item from somewhere else... (on ebay) that gave a years guarantee and no - quibble returns for £98.99p inc p&p ! ... it is still working fine...  still not sure if it was the right price though as I never went into that ! ! ! ...
Fixes: 47

I have an Ebay account and the one and only time I bid for an item I won the sale, but the seller decided my bid wasn't high enough and he withdrew the item from sale.
It put me off and thankfully I've never logged in since Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I usually put in several bids every day on various things.
I rarely bid live preferring to snipe via goofbay.
That way I can calmly work out how much I'm willing to pay.
When bidding live it's very easy to think what's another pound, and why not.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
When bidding live it's very easy to think what's another pound, and why not.

So true.. i've done that a few times lol
@Strat, don't be put off, ebay is a great place to get things you just got unlucky.  It happens to us all at some point but then the same can be said for supermarkets, high street shops, boot fairs, markets... they all have their gotcha moment at some point and ebay is no different. Just  because it's online and uses a computer doesn't mean that its perfect.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I have bought a few things on ebay recently (using buy now not auction) because it was the only place I could get them at a sensible price - example hot dip galvanised 2" angle brackets and stainless steel screws
Community Veteran

Electronic components are also a good find on ebay - everything from arduino to very basics like transistors... you can find it all on ebay and it saves you having to google different suppliers etc.
That reminds me.. i must give RS a try at some point.. I always thought they only did trade but apparently they do retail..
Community Veteran

@ Strat..... I must have been lucky over the years I have used Ebay..... according to my stats... I have SOLD just under £4,000 .00 of stuff on there...  Shocked Shocked Shocked....
but I reckon I have bought at least 3 X that much.... ( can`t find any stats on purchases... ).... ...
Community Veteran

You won't find it shutter.. they don't want to scare you into realising just how much you spend online.. but they'll happily tell you how much you've made.. lol
I've been had a couple of times on ebay but nothing that hasn't been sorted out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm often buying stuff on ebay, but due to my sleep disorder, it's hard to bid on things that end when I'm asleep, so, I've been using myIbidder which I just throw in a maximum amount I can afford (or am willing to pay) and let it do the work, works most of the time, I still occasionally manually bid, like recently I bought a Panasonic HC-V110 camcorder (sold for spares & repairs as it's focussing lens was stuck), complete with box & most of it's accessories, £28 total (£22 winning bid, rest was P&P), I think I bid £35 on it, but either way, I bought what was a £200-ish camcorder for £28, got the lens unstuck, and it works perfectly, winner winner... Smiley
I'm not always that lucky though, have bid on but lost many times, but, to be honest it doesn't really bother me that much, at least I tried... Grin
Community Veteran

Heh I love nice simple to fix things like that 2cvb - they make you feel great when you get them working!
I won't bother telling you about the laser printer again lol but i did get a broken cordless drill and fixed that up (never to be used again lol), couple of flatscreen monitors.. diagnosed someones intermitted plasma TV once too over the internet lol - turned out to be the chassis inside the TV wasn't getting on with the wall mount lol
Must say though.. stuck zoom lens.. thats intriguing!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up
Must say though.. stuck zoom lens.. thats intriguing!

Wasn't the zoom lens, it was the focus lens, which is behind the zoom lens, it was basically a lack of lubricant causing it to get stuck and the camera just threw up an "Error occurred" message on screen, after a lot of fiddling, giving up and declaring it burgered, then fiddling some more, it worked, and is still working, though had to take it apart again this morning as I trapped dust and dirt in the optics when I had it apart last, but it's still working... Smiley
Did a short video of it before I got it working to show where the issue was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcBQXg-OGgo