cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emmerdale Transport - will it survive?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Emmerdale Transport - will it survive?

Anyone who watches Emmerdale, will know the history of Carl and Jimmy, whose father had a big transport business ( although we never saw a truck on the road), the size of Eddie Stobart,  He was killed in an explosion and Carl and Jimmy have tried to start the business up from scratch ever since.... they have a nice "office" with Edna as their secretary, on £12,500 pa.... they share a big house, and don`t really seem to be "short of a bob or two", but always pleading poverty. Recently there has been a minor crisis, and to spice things up a bit.... Charity (Dingle/Tate) Sharma, has colluded with her new father in law to screw them and bought into the business, using some "underhand" tactics to spike a proposed contract.
OK. so that is the basic background.....
now here are some facts..... They are always talking between themselves of runs and trips that are/need to be done.....yet we never see any other drivers or trucks being loaded
They employ Rodney, ex millionaire, ex husband and recently private car hire owner, to do "some" of these trips in emergency situations.
They employ a rather irresponsible son of a recent girlfriend, who takes the day of to "dally" with a young lady, and loses the contract mentioned then,
he also crashes their "truck" a Ford Transit Luton van.
There are a lot of other "discrepancies in the operation..... but that gives an idea of how it goes.......
With a record like that..... would you invest in the company? ? ? ?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Emmerdale Transport - will it survive?

Nope, not really I wouldn't invest a penny. But in any company that is transport based they will always have regular prangs / accidents / claims. I work for a transport company and it happerns every week / every few days. Someone comes in with more damage to one of the fleet vehicles.
One of the blokes in the office who has been there 12 years isn't allowed to handle company money because they openly admit that they can't trust him with it, the bosses do band practice in the repair workshop and between the periods when the mechanic bothers to do any work he's winding up all the staff and playing pranks on them to waste his time and earn money. It's all a bit quirky really.
I've not watched Emmerdale for a few years but as I understood it, the characters you mention are basically running Frank Tates old outfit anyway? That being the case they've not even built up the company themselves but simply taken over an existing one. I may be wrong though.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

You're right in that it makes no sense. Sharma openly says that he has enough money to invest in a fleet of lorries so why bother with the Kings? It would make sort of sense if they had a good reputation but they have been losing contracts because they're unreliable.
Didn't the King sons get the business after Carl threw his Dad out a top floor window at home farm?
If my memory serves me right Tate's haulage business disappeared after his son Chris started up a fleet of refuse/dustbin lorries instead.
Community Veteran

Yep... I thought I remembered it as an explosion.... but there was a fire... and some "confusion"...
Community Veteran

I think it was Terry's young wife (Bob's daughter - how many wives/kids has he got/had) that got killed in the explosion?
Come to think of it didn't home farm blow up at some point, not including the time the plane flew into it.
You lose track of how many times each house has blown up/caught fire/been struck by lightening after a while.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
Come to think of it didn't home farm blow up at some point, not including the time the plane flew into it.

There was a fire there once with Kim Tate and her toyboy David, plane crash, got a feeling it was as you say also blown up too.
Then the PO got blown to bits (IIRC that was when Vic and Viv were running it) and if I remember correctly, a dustcart got blown to bits too. Oh.. and then Lisa Dingles ex hubby (Barry?) who was a rocket scientist in the barn using pig uring for fuel.. naturally the dingles blew that up..  Crazy  Cheesy
People used to laugh at me when I said Emmerdale was great but the reality is its like an action show!
Community Veteran

Agree..... Emmerdale is certainly not a "sleepy little village".... however, there seems to be an awful lot of "in-breeding" going on...... !.... How many illegitimate kids have been brought into the world form there ? ? ? 
apart from the number of times Home Farm has been destroyed.... don`t forget the church fire, too ...  Is the pub the only place not to have had any damage?  Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Is the pub the only place not to have had any damage?  Undecided

Undamaged apart from the lightening strike that demolished the chimney stack which fell on Trish (Marlon's wife) and killed her. Smiley
Fixes: 125

I'm afraid that of all the soaps Emmerdale bores me the most. I stopped watching it a few years ago.
I preferred it back in the days when it was Emmerdale Farm and more emphasis was on the farming. Then again, I used to watch it to get my fix of Milandra Burrows.
Didn't it used to be on in the afternoons in the '70? Or am I mixing it with something else?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Is the pub the only place not to have had any damage?  Undecided

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm sure it was hit by the aircraft that fell out of the sky?
Also the bar used to be on the left of the pub in Aimen and Zeths days and now its on the right so something has happened there.