What a load of bobbins..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28237108
Will Moderate For Thanks
28 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: 'Emergency' snooping laws rushed in

well in fairness they had to do something once the existing powers were declared null and void so bridging the gap as it were until something better was /is necessary and unlike when the original anti terrorism laws were enacted this set of rules do have a fixed end date so if they are overly draconian that can be amended by whatever replaces them, giving parliament the breathing room to consult and draw up proper regulatory powers though is at least the sensible thing and it should mean that whatever longer term act replaces it will be both fair and decent.
the fact they want RIPA looked into as well and rolled into whatever new legislation replaces the data law can only be a good thing, right now privacy laws are a complete joke because of it and fixing that problem will do a lot to re-instating real privacy of private individuals.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

,  .  :  ;  -  N  ! 
WTF
Grafter

Apparently, this rush job has a twilight clause meaning it's only a 'temporary' measure that will expire in 2016, by which time something more longterm is supposed to be in place.
'temporary' because it sounds suspiciously like various other anti-terrorism laws that just keep getting renewed - and used for critical anti-terrorist tasks like preventing illegal dumping and parking enforcement  Roll eyes
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
What a load of bobbins..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28237108

Are you going to be doing some sewing then ?? Wink
Community Veteran

Just listened to the details of the Bill being rolled out. Seems fine as far as I can see.
nanotm
Pro

the only part about it that bothers me is the access requirements,
given that it grants carte blanche for the incumbent home secretary to grant access to anything simply by appointing them as a designated person who requires the access .....
I realise that is necessary for groups like MI5 but as it doesn't differentiate between them and the police it has the potential to be misused to form a data gathering dragnet without recourse to oversight by the courts to ensure any such process is proportionate and targeted

unless I misunderstood the clauses...https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/228824/8359.pdf in case your bored and want to waste time looking at the bill for yourself  Cheesy
Thunderclap
Grafter

The political class are just decriminalising what they've been involved with for years. And I'm not talking about smoking weed either.
Angry You are all terrorists
Fixes: 104

Quote from: artmo
Just listened to the details of the Bill being rolled out. Seems fine as far as I can see.

really? not sure any of it seems fine to me.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

From what I've read in the FT, there's little difference (other than the length companies will have to store the metadata) between the existing EU Directive and what Cameron proposes.
My understanding is that the EU Directive is being re-written to take into account the ECJ ruling and Cameron's proposed implementation will pre-empt this future Directive.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

This must be stopped! And the continued unlawful mass surveillance of the population.
These government terrorists still use the fake war on terrorism as some excuse to spy on us even more. They blame Muslims and use that as some grounds to go to war and spy on us all.
The corrupt worthless dirty MP's are the ones that need to be spied on have there phones monitored and hacked.
Stand up and lets over throw this terrorist corrupt UK government and stop tyranny.
nanotm
Pro

they might be many things, corrupt chief among them, but I wouldn't call them tyrannical nor terrorists
terrorists are the people who conduct things like 7/7 or beheading people in the street, conducting honour killings or mutilating people in the name of some religious law....
the reasons for there spying are multitude, but they always make a law that allows them to employ someone to spy in the way(s) that its done
reading some of Snowdon's statement to the council of Europe that dragnet gathering doesn't work, I was reminded that had it not been for dragnet there would of been no alerts to stop the teacher and his pupils from conducting there jihad with there home made suicide vests a few years back ....
it was the data retention system that allowed the security and law enforcement services to perform post event analysis of the airport bombing failures and determine who was involved and then foil two other plots to destabilise the countries ability to function normally.
they also don't target Muslims only but any groups who are known to have undertaken such things in the name of religion (like the Catholics and the protestant....)
Thunderclap
Grafter

This is a question of trust - The citizen must trust the state to protect them from threats to their freedom, but post Iraq and post Snowden, it is the freedom of the citizen that is judged threatening. Therefore with omnipresent surveillance, trust cannot be mutual.
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

The Bill is being introduced in Parliament now.