Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon or EPIRB

HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 3

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon or EPIRB

I found this very interesting sadly two fishermen are still missing but one was found clinging to a buoy and taken to hospital so his life was saved by the EPIRB

A major rescue effort began off Seaford, near Newhaven, on Saturday when the coastguard received an emergency alert at about 06:00 GMT. yesterday after their boat sank off the Sussex coast. 

The emergency signal put the 45ft scalloping vessel, registered in Brixham, about three nautical miles off the coast.

The location was found due the EPIRB being operated once submerged in water when the boat sunk 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-55032499

https://www.oroliamaritime.com/2019/03/20/what-is-an-epirb/

HD

2 REPLIES 2
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon or EPIRB

I often wonder why passenger planes that go missing over the sea cannot be located using such a system ?

It is even possible for the general public to purchase emergency  personal location transmitters which identify the exact location where the signal was sent from.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Longliner
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon or EPIRB

There's a beacon in the 'black box' flight recorder which transmits for a couple of days before the battery runs flat. Its signal can penetrate only shallow water.

Military survival waistcoats contain a distress beacon which may be activated on ejection, passenger aircraft survival packs have them too. Their signal (243 Mhz if I remember correctly) should be picked up by satellites which activate distress systems in various centres and locate their position by triangulation. Rescue aircraft can also home onto the beacon. That's the general idea, sorry it's decades since I parted with Sarah (Search and Rescue Automatic Homing) and her successor Sarbe (Search and Rescue Beacon).

I see that personal locator beacons are available around £300. I recall that some idiot hiker turned his on to see if it worked, summoning a helicopter and mountain rescue crew, afterwards the police to interview him regarding unlawful use of an emergency device.