cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded Links in Posts

Fixes: 47

Embedded Links in Posts

I have asked this before and apologise but I still don't know the answer and remain curious.
Why do some forums ban outright the posting of links either live or otherwise......not here I hasten to add as it's quite common on this forum.
Someone must have experience of this as a moderator or administrator and have an answer.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Embedded Links in Posts

I've used a number of online forums and moderated a couple, but never come across such curious behaviour. Huh Can't really think of a possible reason for it either, although no doubt there is one.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've seen it on another forum where it is currently being used to censor any reference to other websites which give information telling the truth about a change it is introducing in it's services. The company concerned is a very large corporation and it is hoping to slide something in which will give it a small increase in income but which is very detrimental to it's customers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

whoever sets up and administers a forum polices it to its own levels of prejudice.

The rule is on satellites.co.uk site
Links and Advertising
* Please do not post live links to ANY external sites whatsoever , disable the links by using an underscore as in the following _http://www.example.com, this also applies to photos, please use the manage attachments facility at the bottom of the posting template and upload your pictures, don't use image code or link to them.

I hope they don't object to linking in to their site Undecided

Would / could it constitute a security risk?
alanb
Grafter

In open forums, they may block posting of URLs in order to foil spammers who might post spam messages that promote dodgy pharmaceuticals and such-like. Some block URLs to prevent image theft, copyright issues, and bandwidth stealing by hot linking information on someone else's web site.
I suppose that it is also possible that some do not want their forum URL to be shown to the linked web site as the 'referrer', for a variety of reasons, such privacy and spam prevention again.

Thanks Alan. What constitutes an 'open' forum as you have to register and log on to the satellites forum in order to post.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Some forums only allow you to post links or send PM's after you have a number of posts - presumably to stop spammers

It's hard coded in the rules so I assume it's not time limited.
When you get your legs slapped for doing something it's nice to know why.
Ok...Ok...I know I should have read all the rules but I'm usually impatient to get going. Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Alan may well have hit the nail on the head, it's a way if crude to stop spamming the forum with `Live` links.
I know that one of the forum Mrs Chilly frequents does not allow posting links to other forum on the same subject, I guess in case the members migrate never to return.

I did ask the admin on the site but received no reply. He probably considers it's none of my business Sad
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Thanks Alan. What constitutes an 'open' forum as you have to register and log on to the satellites forum in order to post.

Sorry, I was using the term to mean a forum that is open to everybody. Either a wide-open forum that either doesn't require registration, or requires registration but without any checks on the validity of the membership. (i.e. almost wide-open, but not quite.)

That's what I thought Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
I've seen it on another forum where it is currently being used to censor any reference to other websites which give information telling the truth about a change it is introducing in it's services. The company concerned is a very large corporation and it is hoping to slide something in which will give it a small increase in income but which is very detrimental to it's customers.

Is that BT beta forums that you are referring to?