cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarrassing moments...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Embarrassing moments...

At a family get-together over the weekend, conversation got around to embarrassing moments. And I recalled the time that:
A few years ago before my Mum died, wife and I took Mum as a special treat to the Royal Festival Hall, for a Strauss Viennese concert for which we had secured a box.
The auditorium descended into respectful silence, the orchestra were poised bows were at the first position on stringed instruments, the brass had a good lungful of breath and the percussionists were holding their sticks at the ready over the tympani. The dancers were in hold (as there were eight couples for the opening waltz) the men in white tail suits, the ladies in full crinoline wedding cake dresses.
The conductor (Sir George Sholti if you please, not noted for his tolerance) slowly raised his baton ready for the first timing swish. Sir Georges hand moved down a fraction, at which point Mum exclaimed loudly "don't the girls look nice in their dresses"
Sir George kept his baton raised for a full ten seconds, then turned and looked directly at Mum together with the entire audience with a withering stare for another ten seconds. Wife and I simply wanted a large hole to open to fall into.
Have you had an embarrassing moment?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Re: Embarrassing moments...

Changed my mind, post deleted  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Eating oysters in a beach side setting with a lady who's intentions were........well we won't go there.
I squeezed the lemon over the oysters, licked my lips.
She Asked 'Have you eaten oysters before'?
'Yes often' I replied 'why do you ask'?
'Well we normally take them out of the shells before squeezing the lemon on them'  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Petlew, your story reminds me of another musical embarrassment - not mine but still funny.
Thomas Wilkins was the resident conductor of the Florida Orchestra and was known to have a good sense of humour and was a bit of a practical joker.  We were seated at a concert and he had just started to conduct the first piece on the programme when someone's phone rang. Wilkins stopped the orchestra and turned to the audience.  He removed his shoe, put it to his ear and said, Hello, may I help you? He then faced the orchestra and started the piece again - but not before a man went scurrying from the auditorium to loud applause  Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Taking some alcoholic drinks to an old friend recently.. their partner says "Would you like some some?" I meant to say "No thanks I don't drink alcohol" but instead ended up saying "No thanks I'm not an alchy"  Shocked
You have no idea how much I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@artmo
There must be hundreds of mobile phone and theatre stories, thats one of the funniest, thank you
Community Veteran

Wilkins always had something to lighten the moment.  I used to know a senior violinist in the orchestra and she said rehearsals with Wilkins were just a a joy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
Changed my mind, post deleted  Lips are sealed

Remind me was that the one about the underpants ?
I Once got invited to a fancy dress party and went as a Monk, there was a party allright but not a fancy dress one. The level of embarrassment gradually reduced in line with the quantity of consumed alcohol.