cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email salutations

Fixes: 124

Email salutations

According to here generally business emails should contain the same salutations as written letters and is a convention I usually adhere to but sometimes it does feel a but stuffy for email.
Occasionally I prefer to sign off with Kind regards rather than the more formal Yours sincerely/faithfully, etc.
What do others feel about this? Do you still use the more formal Dear Sir/Madam, etc or do you prefer to start with Hi or something else?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Email salutations

Hi and Kind regards usually as email always feels less formal than letters.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hello. and  Regards, if to an "unknown" person/department
but on receipt of a reply...
Hello (name)    and generally Regards, or Kind Regards, depending on the "tone" of the content of the email(s)
Likewise signing off... Mr.... or first name and last name,  _______________ . . _______________________
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hi <name> to start and Regards to finish with my name under it.
However, I layout email as if writing a formal letter <correct punctuation, spelling, paragraphs and spacing> I don't see why emails should be any less easy to read than any other written article.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shalom2010
Grafter

Hi & Best Regards - guess an old fashioned signature Smiley
@Petlew - I do the same. Always run spell check before sending an email - guess I should do the same on this forum as well!
Community Veteran

I leave the spellchecker permanently switched on and correct as I go along.in email, MS Word etc and PN PM's.
In fact as some members will corroborate I deal with PM's in just the same way as any other written article.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

PS. Its not a matter of OTT exacting standards, I prefer to write in the same way I like to receive them.

James
Grafter

I'm normally one for "Hi James" or "Dear James".
Razer
Grafter

Depends who I'm emailing, why and my mood on the matter.
Community Veteran

For me it's normally Hi (Name) and Regards or Best Wishes. if I want to be a little more formal it's Good morning (Name) or Good afternoon (name).  I emailed my GP this morning and started Good Morning David, and finished Regards.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When addressing British Gas Help Desk:
Darling Support Person
blah blah
Much love,
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.