When sending emails to my daughter in New Zealand they arrive looking thus:
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
<font size="-1"><font face="Arial">Hi *******,<br>
<br>
<font size="-1">I'm not quite sure what has happened to our
mails, but your replies appear to be gobb<font
size="-1">lede</font>gook!!<br>
<br>
She is the only recipient of mine to have this problem, mine are the only mails that arrive this way to her.
So is the problem my end or hers?
Those are my stars where her name would be in this short section.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Email problem

Well, it's probably something missing in the email header. As to where the problem lies, difficult to tell without checking the sent header info & the recieved header info.
Things to look out for are:
Content-Type
&
Mime-Version
thejudge
Grafter

Are you sending your e-mails in HTML? If so, try plain text and see if she has the same issue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thank you, I always send in HTML, my daughter always uses plain text.
Since (without going through every single one) others receive my mail "normally" can somehow one email address in my address book have different settings from all the others?
If so is it worth deleting my daughters address and beginning again with hopefully what are the standard settings as used in the other addresses, or is a reset simply going to pick-up the last known settings, assuming the "fault" is my end of course.
I will though try the plain text you suggest, it takes some time to find out though because of the time differences and my daughter doesn't live and die at her PC.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
kmilburn
Grafter

The behaviour is nothing to do with the email address,  but all to do with email client settings.
You'll probably find that most of your other contacts use a client which will show both plain text and HTML email correctly,  whereas your daughter's is setup to only show as plain text (as you can do with webmail)
Also, depending on which client you use,  if it is only sending the HTML and not sending the plain text too, that will be why you daughter sees the html as text.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thunderbird lets you set the preferred email format for each contact. See attached.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I have sent a test mail to my daughter in "plain text" that was received and replied to normally.
I have also exchanged around 20 test mails with friends and other family in my usual "HTML rich text" none of which has had any problems.
Does that prove anything to the boffins here please?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not really. When you send in HTML it is supposed to also send a plain text equivalent and the email client should display that if it can't display the html. It could be either the multi-part message isn't being formed correctly or a problem with your daughter's email client.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I see Thunderbird v17 is available today. Don't know whether its fixed this problem yet though.

Community Veteran

Ooop's sorry, posted this in the wrong thread.
If a mod wants to delete this and the previous post that would tidy things up Smiley