cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email - is it taken seriously?

N/A

Email - is it taken seriously?

Had a short discussion with a pal last week about someone who had sent an email to someone else, the content being a rather serious request.
She did not get a reply.  I thought that the sender was a bit silly really because email should not be relied upon for such business and that many people do not give much credence to them. She should (IMO) have written a proper letter on headed notepaper and maybe used recorded delivery or at least first class post.
Personally, I would not use email for important things. Mainly I just use it for a bit of business specifically to do with the Internet and for communicating with friends.
Just wondered what others thought about the validity of electronic mail and whether it is taken seriously?  Huh
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Email - is it taken seriously?

Poppy, I communicate with a large firm of solicitors in Cambridge and they are happy to do so by email. In their tariff of charges they have a cheaper charge for email than snail mail communication.  Occasionally there is a need for a legal document to be signed and if they won't accept a digital signature then they send me a hard copy which I sign and return.
I also communicate with my GP via email.  Whilst he is happy to do so I know of other GPs who refuse to do so.
I find it convenient to be able to deal with matters at any time I choose and not have to worry about going to the post office so much.
thisoldman
Grafter

artmo:  out of curiosity why would a gp refuse to deal with an email?
Community Veteran

From my perspective, email has been the dominant form of serious communication for a long time: written medium, suitable for formal business. It's flexible though, so a formal initial approach can, in appropriate circumstances, rapidly negotiate down to first names and then the equivalent of a fridge note. On the other hand, I do know a college bursar, not a million miles from artmo's solicitors who wouldn't allow email in his department because it encouraged the ill-considered reply.
Gabe
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

IMO email does have it's uses. I try to avoid using it though when dealing with important interpersonal transactions. I also try not to use it at work as it's not very good at holding people accountable Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
I also communicate with my GP via email.  Whilst he is happy to do so I know of other GPs who refuse to do so.

Indeed our GP is happy to conduct two way email but, the practice insist mails are sent via the practice manager from there she forwards them to the appropriate GP. Sometimes I'm happy to do this, it depends on how personal it is, but most times I simply leave a type written note for the GP if its a long time to the next available appointment and he calls me usually the same day. From there he decides if the need is urgent and he will upset the system by slotting in an early appointment. Often Mrs P's need is quite urgent, its an odd way round but we find it works quite well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The general advice given is not to put into an email anything that you would not be happy to put on the back of a postcard. There is no way that I would put any personal information into an email.
It's different if a website has a secure encrypted messaging system.
Community Veteran

I use the GP's own email address and it works fine so long as he remembers to set his 'out of office' up when he goes away Wink  I guess the practice has an email address but I don't know it.  Some GPs don't like emailing things such as test results but I've told mine I'm OK with such things.  My GP is also quite happy to hold a discussion with you (on test results for example) but will ask you to call in if there is going to be a problem.  One GP in the practice will not entertain such things.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well as I get on with our GP he doesn't want to give me his direct address, I respect his wishes in this and to an extent I understand his concerns. You and I artmo, may well use it only for necessary medical matters, others may not. At least this way the practice manager can filter out the cranks and time wasters, of which my GP tells me there are in abundance. I've never not had an email forwarded on.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
gswindale
Grafter

Getting back to the main topic,
we use email all the time at work for important stuff.
I understand the concerns that some people have; however it makes life a lot easier in getting important information to clients etc in a timely fashion.
Obviously when stuff needs signatures etc it has to go via post; however other stuff is much easier via email.
Denzil
Grafter

At work we deal with customers and distributors al over the world, and would have a hard time doing so without email.
As a trustee of a medical charity I also answer questions that come in from the public (and sometimes doctors). The vast majority come in by email, with only a small number by post. We have to take them seriously.
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
not to put into an email anything that you would not be happy to put on the back of a postcard.

Though you can use an e-envelope. Text and attachments can be sent with 'good enough' or 'frankly suspicious' levels of security.
In a way, in terms of the chain of trust, web security is just catching up, with the roll out of dnssec.
Gabe