cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Addresses

Queeny2712
Hooked

Email Addresses

I saved an excel file with all my email contact addresses on it as a csv format and I tried to import the file on to my webmail address book, it did it but with only the 1st names, no second names which is fine but most importantly no email addresses, how do I solve this please, I don’t want to sit for hours inputting each one separately
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: Email Addresses

@Queeny2712  What email client are you using?   Thunderbird ? ? or  ? ? ? 

Are you trying to "transfer" them from one computer to another?  or from an old ( recent ) hdd to the current one?

What email client were they on before the tranfer... is it the same email client as the "newer" hdd  ?

Queeny2712
Hooked

I’m using plusnet webmail, I am importing into address book on webmail from an excel file saved as a csv file on my desktop, as I say it’s importing just the 1st name but no email addresses, I was using outlook live.mail but I have deleted that one as I was fed up of it duplicating my emails, I was having 2,3,4 copies of the same email, now I only use plusnet webmail, I sat and typed all my contacts into an excel document and saved it as a csv file
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

What structure did your CSV file have? 

Looking at the Roundcube source you'll need a header line with fields that it can recognise. It sounds like you might be missing this?

For the fields you mentioned the following should work:

First Name,Last Name,E-mail Address
John,Smith,john.smith@example.com
Jane,Jones,janejones123@example.com

If any fields contain a comma (the e-mail address can't) then that field will need wrapping in " ".

Queeny2712
Hooked

I tried it with a header and without, it didn’t seem to work either way, but I have sorted it not but I have another problem when I am writing an email, it is showing the email address which is ok if only sending to one contact but if sending to multiple contacts I don’t want to show everyone, everyone else’s email addresses, not with all the new GDPR, your help in this matter would be appreciated
MJN
Aspiring Pro

If you put each recipient in the Bcc ('Blind Carbon Copy') field then their addresses won't form part of the message hence won't be visible to other recipients. You may still need at least one address (that *will* be visible) in the To: field - you could just put your own in.

MJN
Aspiring Pro

By the way, do post how you sorted your address book import as it could well be useful for others that may pick up this thread when searching for the same issue.

Queeny2712
Hooked

Thank you
Queeny2712
Hooked

Gave up on the import in the end, but I went through my emails in my folders and next to the contact name is a figure of a person and if you hover your cursor over that it gives the option to add the contact to your address book which is how I created my address book