cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Ello, 'Ello,'Ello ......... May the Force be with You ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

'Ello, 'Ello,'Ello ......... May the Force be with You ?

Cumbria constabulary has spent £1.8m on state-of-the-art 4G smartphones for its 1,130 frontline officers, to replace the traditional policeman's notebook.  
The force has teamed up with mobile network EE to provide all frontline officers and some backroom staff with taxpayer-funded Samsung Galaxy Note 4 handsets, which retail for £569 each.
But top brass have been left red-faced after it emerged that just 11% of the rural county has high-speed mobile internet coverage.
That means officers on foot patrol in country communities will have to rely on slower 3G speeds to record crimes - if they can get online at all.  
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/585365/Cumbria-Police-spends-millions-Samsung-Note-smartphones-no-4...

Perhaps they should contact North Korea for some notebooks & pencils !!

8 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: 'Ello, 'Ello,'Ello ......... May the Force be with You ?

If they are reporting crimes how fast can they type that require 4G?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never had a problem with 3G myself. I think it's more than capable.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

4G !!!!... 3G !!!... even 2G would be nice back home in Derbyshire !!
Extremely poor intermittent Mobile Phone reception, unless I go up to the top floor, or drive up a nearby Hill !
That's the good thing about texts, they usually make it through without too much delay, and one phone (an old Motorola 377) automatically keeps trying to send texts until it is successful.

However, Three's In Touch app is a lifesaver...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This connectivity issue could be easily solved by having a fleet of helicopters carrying 4G transmitters hovering 24 hours a day over Cumbria.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

EE have a similar option http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/wifi-calling
However the blurb informs me it's only available on the 'EE' version of Android....I got mine from Carphonewarehouse so it doesn't have the facility. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: AlaricAdair
This connectivity issue could be easily solved by having a fleet of helicopters carrying 4G transmitters hovering 24 hours a day over Cumbria.
Thought I read somewhere about small barrage balloons being used to carry phone signals across large areas ?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It seems that there is no reason that  "the top brass have been left red-faced" as the report was poorly researched.  I have highlighted some key points.
'Following publication of this article Cumbria Police released the following statement:
"In regards to your report saying that the smartphones won’t work, this is completely incorrect. The new devices work with 2G, 3G and 4G as well as them working offline, this enables us to conduct our business processes at all times.
Prior to the decision being made on the introduction of these devices, we reviewed where our crimes occur in the county. After analysis, it is estimated that between 85 and 90% of our calls for service occur in an area where a 3G or 4G signal is available.
The statistics on the coverage are out of date, as of November 2014 - EE covered 18% of in Cumbria (by geography) with 4G, 70% with 3G and 85% with 2G.  For population coverage, that is 44% on 4G, 92% on 3G and 98% on 2G. By 2017, EE plans to have 98% of the Cumbria population covered by 4G, and 76% of Cumbria covered by geography – so coverage is increasing at a pace and we have future-proofed our investment by going with 4G devices.
Based on estimates and predictions by the programme team, the devices and data bundle will last for four years and by year two, 4G will have much greater coverage across the county. By investing in this technology now, we are future-proofing in technological requirements.
Another reason we chose the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is that the security requirements for the bespoke policing apps was only supported by the developer if using Samsung technology.
The £1.8 million is not spent on the handsets alone, but is part of a wider investment into mobile and digital technology.It is factually correct that Samsung Galaxy Note 4 handsets retail at £569 each but this was not the unit price that Cumbria Constabulary paid." '
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/585365/Cumbria-Police-spends-millions-Samsung-Note-smartphones-no-4...
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
4G !!!!... 3G !!!... even 2G would be nice back home in Derbyshire !!
Extremely poor intermittent Mobile Phone reception, unless I go up to the top floor, or drive up a nearby Hill !
That's the good thing about texts, they usually make it through without too much delay, and one phone (an old Motorola 377) automatically keeps trying to send texts until it is successful.

However, Three's In Touch app is a lifesaver...

Quote from: Strat
EE have a similar option http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/wifi-calling
However the blurb informs me it's only available on the 'EE' version of Android....I got mine from Carphonewarehouse so it doesn't have the facility. Sad

I also got my latest Android Smartphones from CPW !!
I have EE sims, and bought a couple of Three sims, with credit that never runs out, if unused, as backups for my main phones providers.

When at Home, I actually use my Landline..... but only to phone out, number withheld.
I have all the home phones on silent ring, with answer phone disabled.
After a spate of unwanted calls, though not too many tbh, the last call I had to my landline was 2 months ago, and very sparse before then.
My mobiles all have excellent call blocking facilities, though I think I've only ever had 4 unwanted calls in the last 3 years, all now blocked.
As others have said elsewhere, for most Internet & Phone orders, I give a false number, or the number of a drawer kept phone which I power up for a few days.
(I have checked, it is not in use anywhere)

Quote from: alanf
'Following publication of this article Cumbria Police released the following statement:

Very interesting, thanks