cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eletricity outages

Fixes: 125

Eletricity outages

We get regular outages which used to be every two to three months but lately it seems to be a monthly occurrence.
This morning it went out for around 10 seconds, briefly on then off again. About 30 seconds later it was on again then off after another second or so. Then back on after another couple of minutes.
Just wondering what could cause such outages Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

25 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Eletricity outages

bad equipment, being overloaded ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

when you find out let me know as we are getting the same thing

We've just changed supplier so it can't be an issue specific to them.
However, who actually is responsible for the upkeep, repair and replacement of the supply equipment?
BT Openreach is responsible for the broadband infrastructure so is there a similar body/company responsible for the electricity infrastructure?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Trees?
If it happens on a windy day, and your power comes via overhead lines, its possible that a tree somewhere is a bit close to the line. When the wind blows a branch hits the line and earths it - the automatic protection systems shuts down the line it then resets it after a short period in case it was a transient. If the gust has gone - and with it the branch- you are back in business until the next time.
The power people should have fairly regular maintenance processes to keep such trees trimmed back, but they may have missed that one or its had a spurt of growth. Eventually the tree gets to big and too close and the contact happens a bit too often then someone is sent out with a chainsaw to find it.
Community Veteran

We have had a similar situation for years. On one occasion when it was particularly bad, support engineers had to be called in. Their comment about the equipment was "I have not seen this gear since I was an apprentice! He was in his 50s!!! Lately we had a very jagged supply failure which was repeated a few hours later. This was said to be a supply transformer failure. We suffered a blown microwave and toaster (Digital controlled). Supply company would not accept liability and we had to claim on the house insurance. We have now fitted these with surge protectors as a boot & braces activity (fingers crossed).
Community Veteran

Unless there's an issue with your equipment, then the local distributor should be responsible. Ours is Western Power.
Are you fed by underground or overground cabling?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When we lived in London we had outages like those. It turned out to be a failing cable near to the substation.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Quote from: AndyH
Are you fed by underground or overground cabling?

Overground by the looks of it. In the picture below our property is on the left. I am assuming the pole marked by the green circle is for telecommunications and the one marked by the red circle is for power?

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
We've just changed supplier so it can't be an issue specific to them.

It doesn't depend on your supplier. All the suppliers use the same equipment - it's just your bill that will have changed Wink

It was more of a rhetorical statement Wink

Community Veteran

Re #6....Overhead for miles!
Community Veteran

I used to get that a lot until one day it flickered off and never came back on.
The fault was an underground joint in next doors property.
acr
Rising Star

I am in a similar position with electrical outages of 10 to 15 seconds at a time, often two or three times within the space of 20 minutes or so. A few years ago Western Power wrote to explain that they were caused by birds hitting the electrical cables going between the pylons which bring the power to my village. The cables cross the Somerset Levels (an area known for its birdlife) on pylons before going underground to supply the local villages. To reduce the outages they fitted something to the cables / pylons so that the birds were less likely to hit the cables. Although the outages have reduced, they continue to be a problem during periods of heavy rain and / or high wind. I have a UPS connected to my computer, monitor, router and external hard drive and I couldn't do without it.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
However, who actually is responsible for the upkeep, repair and replacement of the supply equipment?

I think it may be UK Power Networks. It's who I phone every time there's a power cut here. You may find something here - at the very least there's a phone number you can call and you may get to speak to someone who can help.