cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electro-Copper Plating at home

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Electro-Copper Plating at home

I have a small project, that "could" look nice, if some of the brass parts were copper plated....
I have looked at a couple of videos on YouTube... and the simple one`s ( just for me )... seem to be about right... 
Plastic container...... Pint of White Vinegar....... 12v D.C. supply...... some copper .... and the brass object....
connect them in the proper manner... and leave it to do it`s stuff for about 15 minutes....
However, one of the vids did warn, not to be too hard when drying the object after plating, as it might rub off.... 
So my question is,... to all you scientific experts, who may already have done this... does it  (the copper plating) rub off, or is it more permanent.... the object will not be handled to any great extent.. it is purely for visual effect, a contrast between two parts of brass, with a copper part between them...
If it does rub off easily, then is there a means of "fixing" it...  (like in the old darkroom, for fixing the pic after developing)... preferably so that it is still electrically conductive...
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Electro-Copper Plating at home

Clean the base metal thoroughly first (dirt, grease, tarnish, etc.) and it should stick fine, it's like restoring a car, don't just spray paint on an unprepared, rusty surface otherwise it'll peel in no time...
Community Veteran

Yes, indeedy... it is mentioned in a couple of vids and instructions...but not, I think, emphasized enough... Thanks for the heads up...  Wink
Fixes: 47

Living in Sheffield I have had close dealings with various electro-plating processes.
One of the first baths, objects were immersed in was a detergent ultra sonic treatment so I would concur with twocvbloke. about a thorough clean.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: twocvbloke
it's like restoring a car, don't just spray paint on an unprepared, rusty surface otherwise it'll peel in no time...

Techincally it shouldn't as rust is formed by air oxidising the steel / iron and acting as an electroyte for the electrons to move about. By painting over it is starved of its oxygen and thus shouldn't continue... IN THEORY!!! Thats the sort of crap i've been reading lately.. and yes the damned stuff always comes back. I've got an exhaust shield in my shed.. ground it down the best i could, sprayed it up with anti rust and then heat proof paint.. but the rust i wasn't able to remove properly is back with a vengence after just a couple of weeks  Roll eyes
Then there are the rust killers... like jenolite and kurust.. yeah they turn the metal black.. and then what? - Paint over.. and the rust still comes back  Roll eyes
Then there are those wonderful rust converters that claim to make it look like bare metal again... what they don't tell you is that you're supposed to grind off all the rust first and then paint the stuff on..  Roll eyes
To be honest, the best way to go is wire brush the lot back (using a rotary wire brush in a drill or grinder - not a hand brush) and then paint up with red oxide primer and then overcoat with hamerite or something else. If the something else is just a normal non protective paint then you want some lacquer or other protective stuff over it.
And then there is waxoyl / underseal... which apparently does the whole lot in one go but then you're stuck with limited colours and the carcinogenic risk  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Yeah!.... 7up has magically taken over the thread, from Electoplating small brass items with copper... into the best way to preserve an old banger from rusting again.... and again... and again..  Grin
Never mine 7up..... one day... you won`t have an old banger....

just a pile of old rust  Grin    Wink Wink
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: twocvbloke
it's like restoring a car, don't just spray paint on an unprepared, rusty surface otherwise it'll peel in no time...

Techincally it shouldn't as rust is formed by air oxidising the steel / iron and acting as an electroyte for the electrons to move about. By painting over it is starved of its oxygen and thus shouldn't continue... IN THEORY!!! Thats the sort of [Censored] i've been reading lately.. and yes the damned stuff always comes back. I've got an exhaust shield in my shed.. ground it down the best i could, sprayed it up with anti rust and then heat proof paint.. but the rust i wasn't able to remove properly is back with a vengence after just a couple of weeks  Roll eyes
Then there are the rust killers... like jenolite and kurust.. yeah they turn the metal black.. and then what? - Paint over.. and the rust still comes back  Roll eyes
Then there are those wonderful rust converters that claim to make it look like bare metal again... what they don't tell you is that you're supposed to grind off all the rust first and then paint the stuff on..  Roll eyes
To be honest, the best way to go is wire brush the lot back (using a rotary wire brush in a drill or grinder - not a hand brush) and then paint up with red oxide primer and then overcoat with hamerite or something else. If the something else is just a normal non protective paint then you want some lacquer or other protective stuff over it.
And then there is waxoyl / underseal... which apparently does the whole lot in one go but then you're stuck with limited colours and the carcinogenic risk  Crazy

really I always found if you use a wire brush to agitate the worst of it off then use rustcure as per its instructions, then liberally apply hammerite to the affected item(s) before bolting everything back together and spraying with waxol seemed ot get rid of the problem for several years, of ocurse it helped if you actually got everything to dry at eash stage otherwise it just became a big argument and an unending task trying to sort it out /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Yeah!.... 7up has magically taken over the thread, from Electoplating small brass items with copper... into the best way to preserve an old banger from rusting again.... and again... and again..   Grin

Erm.. excuse me but actually it was twocvbloke that brought up rust on cars  Tongue  Wink
Quote from: shutter
Never mine 7up..... one day... you won`t have an old banger....
<snip->
just a pile of old rust   Grin    Wink Wink

It already is... held together with a lot of hammerite  Cheesy
Quote from: nanotm
really I always found if you use a wire brush to agitate the worst of it off then use rustcure as per its instructions, then liberally apply hammerite to the affected item(s) before bolting everything back together and spraying with waxol seemed ot get rid of the problem for several years,

Yeah.. but that is only slowing it down.. and then you have the same problem to deal with again. I suppose you could always use the battery method to slow it down too...i'll let you explain that one as i've no experience with it  Smiley
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

If you electroplate something with copper, the copper plate will be extremely pure and hence very soft and easily scratched.
Any rust is a poor conductor, so you won't even plate properly over it.
The rust probably returns by starting from any pre-existing sites.

nanotm
Pro

In my experience electroplating only works if performed by the factory and is trash the second you get a dent
Community Veteran

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
If you electroplate something with copper, the copper plate will be extremely pure and hence very soft and easily scratched.
Any rust is a poor conductor, so you won't even plate properly over it.
The rust probably returns by starting from any pre-existing sites.

Just as well, that BRASS doesn`t RUST.......          Roll eyes            and that I won`t be handling it to any extent...      Smiley      so it won`t get scratched either...  Grin Grin Grin
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Brass is an alloy composed by copper and zinc. In its newly cast state, brass takes on a shiny golden hue that can be polished to a brilliant glow. Without polishing or a protective lacquer coating, brass can tarnish through a process known as oxidation. This oxidation, which affects primarily the surface of the metal, serves to slow down the corrosion process and gives the brass a patina, which may be either desirable or frustrating, depending on your perspective.

Community Veteran

Yeah, But.... Foxy.... I`m going to Electroplate the brass with a copper coating... ( which will probably have a coat of lacquer applied )....... so your last post.... and previous posts are totally irelevant
nanotm
Pro

are you by any chance using blue water in a plastic tub a few bits of string an elastic band and a 12v battery with a stick of charcoal and some link leads or are you going to some place where they charge you a fortune for a lower thickness of coating ?
I mean copper plating is one of the easiest things to do using copper sulphate crystals dissolved in tap water,  but before you start just be sure you got the anode and cathode the right way round or you end up plating the wrong thing, oh and you can use a couple of standard aa batteries for the charge its just that the 12v one does the job faster Smiley
Community Veteran

I shall be using........ a bit of copper piping........ a litre of white vinegar...... two 1.5v batts ( giving 3 volts)... and the piece of brass that I want plated...
I shall use the lower voltage, because I want a "long" plating time... to give a better quality finish...
Originally I was going to use 12v dc from an old adapter...but have read up on it and it seems the lower voltage will be better in the long term...