Did you mean: 

Electricity ... monitor your usage.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Electricity ... monitor your usage.

Another Daily Mail article !!
Make of it what you will...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2507546/48-gadget-measures-electricity-use-slashed-energy-...

However, my Electricity Supplier ( Scottish Power ) offered Electricity Usage Monitors for free last year.
I obtained one, which replaced an older, also free, monitor, from another supplier.
The new one does appear to be more accurate, faster readings, and measures smaller amounts.
As before, after the initial week or so, switching Electrical items off and on, it now just sits, quietly going about it's business, with an occasional quick glance from myself when an electrical appliance is used, namely kettle, toaster, Central Heating pump etc, and Cooker.

I've had it for just over a year now, has it changed my electrical habits and usage, not really.

My Electric Bills are normally well below the National Average, through the use of Energy Efficient Appliances, CFLs etc.
Most light fittings are multi-bulb, so a large saving there.
Many Electronic items now go into automatic power saving standby.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Electricity ... monitor your usage.

I had a free one from EON several years ago. Still connected, I use it to check on things occasionally, like is the oven up to temp  Smiley
Hasn't changed my usage I have been replacing with cheaper items as things wear out, but can't afford to replace working items.
kmilburn
Grafter

These things are good in the short term,  if you're willing to pay attention and take action.  However,  once you've made all the sensible changes, the don't add anything.
For instance,   I got one from British Gas a few years ago.
Turns out my UPS was using 400w almost constantly  (19" rackmout job,  overkill for home but it was free),  did a swap with work for a new one which is barely noticable with minimal load.
All GU10 spots (50w halogen) replaced with quality LED bulbs (5w).
From those two changes alone, I've reduced my energy use from an average of 10kWh to 6kWh per day.
Now we're just left with the cooker, microwave, fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, tv (46" plasma, 300-400w on a bright picture), etc.
While the monitor will tell me what it's using, it won't make the blindest bit of difference until I deem it necessary to relace any of them.  Just waiting for a 4K OLED TV at a reasonable price.  Cool
My meter is has now moved to my brothers house, after being in my parents house for the last year!
Fixes: 47

Quote from: kmilburn
All GU10 spots (50w halogen) replaced with quality LED bulbs (5w).

I did this recently with 8 spots and the difference is very noticeable on my Owl monitor.
I have a couple of free monitors from suppliers and I gave one to my daughter but she gave it back to me because it embarrassed her by showing how much she was wasting by leaving things on unnecessarily Huh 
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
WTF
Grafter

Changing 8 spots from halogen to LED makes a heck of a difference: 400w down to less than 40  Wink
When we moved into our current house, I actually replaced the low voltage spots in the kitchen with GU10s just so I could use LEDs.  We also have them in both bathrooms.
Actually, like earlier posters, we've done pretty much everything to minimise power usage without replacing all the kitchen appliances - which are already A class, anyway.  We even turn everything off that can be turned off when it's not in use.  Only exception is the router as PlusNet have asked me to leave it on while it's 'educated' (whatever that means).
Only thing having one of those metres would do is annoy me coz I can't do anything else  Grin
There are plenty of people it could help, though.  My brother's always complaining hes' short of money enyet his house mostly has old style, hyper inefficient bulbs and is always lit up like the Blackpool illuminations.  He also leaves computers running, TVs on standby etc etc.  He could easily save himself quite a few quid a year with some minimal changes - apparently, not having TVs etc on stand by saves an average of around £60 a year or £5 a month.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I only have LEDs now for lighting in the house - even CFLs are inefficient by comparison (back garden floodlight is solar LED so consumes no mains power, chosen because I didn't want to run mains cable  Smiley)
Like others I look for efficient appliances if any need replacement.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I have been monitoring mine for a couple of years now
Initially to see if I could reduce the cost by altering the times when the heating comes on - I was on an Evenings and Weekend Tariff

I had a takeaway last night and because I didn't cook it saved me 40p worth of electricity Smiley
The takeaway cost me £4.50 Sad
As to stuff on standby, my TV uses no more than 30mw.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've never seen any appliance quoting standby usage in mW, 30mW is impressive (most - even good ones - usually just state something like <1W), you realise that's probably costing 3p EVERY year it's left on standby.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

The spec does quote <1W but I have measured it at around 30mw.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is this the next port of call for you Strat? Bicycle Power Generation?  Invite the neighbours around.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Yep my new TV is the same, <1W on standby, compared to 25W for the old one which I had on a remote power switch (the kind that work off the TV remote). My SPEAKERS on the pc were taking 15W on standby, PC was same, so now all are on a wireless power switch, one switch to switch on all the PC bits.
Bedroom TV is on the same thing.
Only thing left on standby now is the clock/radio in the bedroom and the new TV. The freeview box switches its self off after 3 hours (from 20W to 1W),
Raspberry pi is on 24/7 as it the laptop for media sharing with 3 hdds attached to it (<10W normally and upto 80W in use)
But I still have a background of ~200W that I cannot locate, things like fridges/freezers etc,
I tried LED lights in an underlight but they were just too poor compared to the same lumen rated 10W halogen bulbs I replace the 20W with. And with 5W GU10's @£5 ea, it will be a while before I replace the seldom used halogen ones in the lights. I have however replaced the 150W halogen bulbs in the standard light types with 15W CFL's.

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Is this the next port of call for you Strat? Bicycle Power Generation?  Invite the neighbours around.

Ooo...an exploded view also, I'll get right on it Smiley
I have one of those smart adaptor thingies with PC, Speakers, printer etc plugged in.
When the PC is powered down it takes all the other stuff with it....and vice versa.